We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to eat in cedar grove

Elgin Illinois
Level Contributor
175 posts
255 reviews
where to eat in cedar grove

hi . comeing to visit in mid may. plan on a day drive from sequoia to cedar grove. looking for a place to eat would prefer sit down resturant . open to ideas.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
14,778 posts
121 reviews
1. Re: where to eat in cedar grove

The only place I've eaten in Cedar Grove is their snack bar/fast food type place (and don't remember much about it). We usually grab sandwiches at the grocery store and head for the Great Outdoors. And if I'm remembering correctly, the Cedar Grove Lodge only has counter service. It's more like a snack bar in a visitor center, with very limited choices. Remember - you're heading to one of the most distant trailhead areas in the Sierras, where most people are there to head off on backpacking trips and snacks/store services are very geared to hikers and campers, not anything remotely like fine dining or even sit down dining.

The nearest sit down dining room may well be back at Wuksachi Lodge (there's a lunch counter at Stoney Creek - but it's probably going to be closed).

In fact, your trip plans hinge on whether the road between Sequoia and Kings Canyon is open in mid May, and whether the road to Cedar Grove is open as well (if you were to go back down the mountain and around to Kings Canyon). Given this year's weather, it may not be - it wasn't, the last time I was up in late May.

One can never tell though - a good spell of warm weather will make clearing those roads easier and the goal is to get them open by the end of May. So you'll need luck on your side, I think.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,388 posts
6,456 reviews
2. Re: where to eat in cedar grove

Cedar Grove opens in late June.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/seki/cgf&s.htm

We were there on closing day last year.

If you want food, you will need to plan to have a picnic. Take food and drink with you. And that is if the road is open.

Wuksachi is open - it is in Sequoia and has good food - agree with CookieDartmouth. Food there is good - if you do eat there, however, they were requiring reservations for dining for both people who dropped by as well as guests who were staying there.

Food here was good.

http://www.visitsequoia.com/dining.aspx

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
3. Re: where to eat in cedar grove

You can sit at the snack bar deck over looking the King River for a pleasant if relatively simple lunch. It is a lovely setting. We have stayed at the lodge there with very basic rooms but normally camp. Lots of great spots along the "backside" of the King where you can have a spot for a picnic without another human in sight/sound. All you hear is the babbling river.

California
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: where to eat in cedar grove

I'm pretty sure Grant Grove has a sit down restaurant, Grant Grove is between Sequoia and Cedar Grove, you'll pass it on the way from Sequoia before you head down the canyon. At Cedar Grove there is only the snack bar mentioned above, but it's not bad, it has burgers and other mostly fried things, maybe some sandwiches. The setting by the river is lovely.

Elgin Illinois
Level Contributor
175 posts
255 reviews
5. Re: where to eat in cedar grove

thanks to all. my wife and i will be here in may 14th for 4 nts staying at wuksachi my plan was to visit cedar grove on our first full day (if road is open) visit sequoia heading south to 3 rivers on the second and third day. grant grove and cat haven on the 4th day. I hope the roads will be open for this is our first visit and want to see as much as we can.

6. Re: where to eat in cedar grove

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 26, 2012