We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hume Lake question

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Hollywood, CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hume Lake question

I have a question about Hume Lake - and I mean no offense to anyone...... I understand that there is a Christian camp or something there, but all we are interested in - is going up there to swim and have a good family day. We don't go to church, and we wouldn't want to get involved with any of the activities there that might be related. Is there an area where we can just go to enjoy the lake? Again - I mean no offense - I just want to know what my options are. Thank you :-) p.s. Is there parking? A picnic area?

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hume Lake question

While technically not part of The National Park there are National Park Campgrounds at Hume Lake & access is public for the most part. The Church "Village"s mostly around the South west portion of the Lake & the rest is public I believe.

Kings Canyon Sequoia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hume Lake question

The Christian Camp is located at one end of Hume Lake, and the entire rest of the shore is public national forest service land. There's a nice sandy beach and swimming cove called "Sandy Cove" where lots of families go. The opposite side of the lake also has many pretty areas. You can rent a canoe or boat with an electric motor at the Christian Camp, they also have a small general store there where the public is welcome. (No gas engines are allowed at Hume Lake, which makes it very nice and peaceful.) We have a cabin near Hume Lake and visit the lake often. It's one of my favorite spots. The view of Kings Canyon is awesome. Lots of good picnic areas, sandy cove side has several newer restroom facilities. Parking near Sandy Cove can be crowded on a summer weekend, just try to get there early.

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hume Lake question

Is there a fee to park or do you need an national forest Adventure Pass?

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hume Lake question

You might double check but I believe the Adventure Pass is issued only for the five national forests surrounding the Los Angeles basin.

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hume Lake question

I think you might be right. I've just gotten so used to needing those I forgot they aren't required everywhere!

6. Re: Hume Lake question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, September 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...