We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kings Canyon camping

southern california
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Kings Canyon camping

I am planning a camping trip to Kings Canyon(Cedar Grove area) in July and would like some suggestions/info. What is the best campground & campsite to stay at ? Can you float or raft on the river ? Is there a minimum amount of time to stay(considering the drive,etc.) to see the highlights of the valley in a relaxing way? Is Boyden Cave worth seeing? What are the facilities like in the valley(store,resturants,etc) Any tips/suggestions will be appreciated. We camp alot (normally go to Yosemite) but thought I would try something different this year.....

Thanks,

Moro Rock
Geologic Formations, Hiking Trails
General Sherman Tree
Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kings Canyon
Canyons, National Parks
Sin City
Level Contributor
899 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kings Canyon camping

It's been at least 10 years since I was there. There are 3 campgrounds in the Cedar grove area, we always stayed at the one closest to the store, this is where the Ranger Station and Ampitheater is located. The campsites closest to the meadow had great views, but more mosquitoes and bugs were found there. Somewhere nearer the river was always preferred by us. Make us of the bear lockers for all your food. Leaving as little as a pack of gum in your car can be enouigh to tempt a bear to break into it.

We would float or tube down the river, if the river is high it can be damgerous. Take advantage of the Ranger guided walks they have, you can learn a lot. The walk up to Mist Falls is well worth the effort.

We usually stayed a week and thought that was not enough time.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kings Canyon camping

You may not have a choice as they open on need. i have often camped there with only one open. I like to say the Kings/Sequoia has every thing Yosemite has Except the Crowds, Floating inside the Park is not allowed. Only in the Actual Canyon (not park controlled) can this be done & it is VERY DANGEROUS! Fish, relax, visit the water falls, picnic, ride horses, take the cave tour but stay out of the river except where fly fishing is permitted but even there be carefully. If you do a bit of "backside" Exploring you can find spots along the river where you can spend the day alone.

3. Re: Kings Canyon camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, September 01, 2009