We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night only

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1 night only

Hi all,

I will be staying at waksachi lodge early November for one night. We are coming from Yosemite and we want stop and see some sights along the way, any recommendations?

Also the main reason for coming is to hike the congress trail and see the general Sherman tree, how long will we need for this?

We will be leaving from here and travelling to LA after but in no rush to get there. Also what are the chances of snow? We have a hire car and we can't put chains on. So just trying to plan out my options 🙂

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Regards belinda.

Mentioned in this post
4 replies to this topic
San Lorenzo...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 night only

The Drive from Yosemite to Giant Forest is fairly scenic, but if I were you, I would concentrate on the endpoints rather than the trip in this case. Give yourself time to see the Big Trees - The Sherman Tree, while magnificent, is not the only specimen worthy attention, and nearby along fairly easy trails are literally thousands of other trees that make a forest like no other. The Sherman Tree can be seen pretty quickly, maybe an hour - and with another one - two hours or so, the Congress Trail can give closer views of truly huge trees with less development around them. The President, Chief Sequoyah and the Lincoln Tree are just a few of the behemoths in this grand forest. The entire route is maybe 2.5 miles / 4 km, so not a big time crunch. If you can, i would also recommend either the Round Meadow trail or the Crescent Meadow Trail, bot really easy and on;ly about a mile or so each.

On the way, you should also stop and see the General Grant Grove of big trees at the King's Canyon Park Entrance. One of the most amazing short hikes anywhere - a premier stand of titanic trees.

You should be aware that a large fire has recently affected the area just outside the south entrance to Yosemite, and some of the attractions there, including a steam railroad, have been adversely affected by that fire. The road is open, however.

Snow is possible at the elevations of Grant Grove and Giant Forest. If you can get a set of cables (easier than chains) it would be helpful. Snow is also possible in Yosemite especially along the Wawona Road, but there is another longer but lower elevation route in and out of Yosemite Valley.

Welcome, and enjoy your time here!

Mentioned in this post
Giant Forest
Giant Forest
1,556 Reviews
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA
Big Trees Lodge
Big Trees Lodge
2,195 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Congress Trail
Congress Trail
205 Reviews
Grant Grove
Grant Grove
288 Reviews
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,943 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,097 posts
6,325 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 night only

Its possible to have snow in November, but not likely. They are still random snow storms that wander through by then.

Your bigger issue is fog. I would suggest driving in and of the park on 180 instead of using the Three Rivers route. That Route has over 100 switchback turns and often is fogged in so its even more of a challenge by November. The staff at Wuksachi can advise further if your heart is set on doing that drive and best hours to do so. Be sure to also have a full tank of gas before driving into the park. You won't find gas in the park.

Just a couple of adds as Bruce J gave you a very good reply.

Have a good trip.

Mentioned in this post
Wuksachi Lodge
Wuksachi Lodge
2,589 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 night only

Hi all,

Thank you for your tips!

Sorry if this is a silly question but I'm not familiar with American roads does the 180 turn into the 198 that goes into sequoia?

Also will the fog be an issue all day?

That's a shame about the fires, I heard about them here in Australia and I hope everyone was safe!

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,667 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 night only

180 continues down to the bottom of Kings Canyon but may be closed at the Hume Junction Gate (it generally closes for winter sometime in November) but you can take it a short distance to see the General Grant tree first and then backtrack to take the Generals Highway to Sequoia https:/…SEKImap1_2015.pdf

Mentioned in this post
Kings Canyon
Kings Canyon
849 Reviews
Reply to: 1 night only
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted