We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in SEKI - Timing advice please :)

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in SEKI - Timing advice please :)

Afternoon everyone!

Here's the plan...

AUG 26th - arrive in Exeter late at night, stay over

AUG 27th - after breakfast, hit the road around 1000, planning to do:

-Tunnel Rock

-Hospital Rock

-Crystal Cave

-Giant Forest

-Moro Rock Hike

-Tunnel Log

-General Sherman Tree

Finish the day in Grant's Grove, overnight in the cabins there.

AUG 28th

-Grant Grove/General Grant Tree

-Grizzly Falls

-Roaring River Falls

-Zumwalt Meadow Hike (FLOODING?)

-Road's End

-Cedar Grove

Hoping to depart the park enroute to Yosemite around 1600.

Any suggestions on the timing/feasibility would be great. If we have to cut something, let us know! We are aware it will be fairly whirlwind. BTW, we're both 30 and fit!

Edited: 3:21 pm, August 06, 2017
Ohio
Level Contributor
111 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in SEKI - Timing advice please :)

We just returned from SEKI. You should consider an earlier departure time on Day 1. It'll be a 2hr drive from Exeter. The road leading to Sequoia is very steep and curvy. Travel time to/from SEKI or anywhere in between is slow due to the extremely curvy roads. Make sure you have a full tank of gas before entering the park.

We spent one full day in each park and had no problems. In Sequoia, we didn't do the cave tour so I'm not sure how long is required. I read that it requires about 3hrs total, including driving. Each of the other places you list are all fairly short (30min - 1hr) stops.

Good logistical choice on Grant Grove for the night. You'll want to get an early start on Day 2. You'll be able to hit the visitor center there, visit General Grant, and then head towards Cedar Grove for your hiking plans. It's about a 1hr drive from Grant Grove to Cedar Grove. I'd try to leave for Cedar Grove by 10am to have time for some short hikes and still meet your planned return to the park entrance by 4pm.

Edited: 11:30 pm, August 07, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in SEKI - Timing advice please :)

Thanks :) Glad to hear we should be able to fit everything in! Did you do Zumwalt Meadows? If so, can you comment on whether or not there's flooding?

Ohio
Level Contributor
111 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in SEKI - Timing advice please :)

No, we didn't hike anywhere in Cedar Grove :( We were there in early July and they had JUST opened a few of the trails up days before we arrived. The rangers said the trails were still too muddy and foot bridges were flooded, so didn't suggest hiking the day we were there. Grizzly Falls doesn't require any hiking, so it's fine. Just don't know about the others.

Maybe you should open up a new thread in the SEKI forum and ask. Surely someone will know the status.

I posted trip reports last week for SEKI & Yosemite. I'll attach them for you, in case you're interested.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28926-i29-k107356…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28926-i29-k107355…

tripadvisor.com/…85330774

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in SEKI - Timing advice please :)

Thanks a bunch!

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
699 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in SEKI - Timing advice please :)

Something to keep in mind....tickets are required for Crystal Cave and they are not sold at the cave. You can get them online at least 2 days in advance or at the one of the Visitor Centers.

I agree with getting an earlier start. And be prepared to wait at the entrance station. We were there in mid July and when we left on a Saturday morning, we counted over 200 cars waiting to get in (this was around 10:00). My guess of the wait time would have been about 2 hours.

6. Re: 2 days in SEKI - Timing advice please :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 11, 2018