We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing from shore/banks

Hackensack...
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing from shore/banks

Are there spots in the park you can fish from shore or stream bank? I have a travel fly rod but would rather not squeeze waders into an already fully packed car for a July trip. I am truly a novice at fly fishing but thought it would be fun to try and I see that the 1 Day license is inexpensive!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,022 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing from shore/banks

There are special regulations for fishing inside RMNP.

www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/fishing.htm

You did not say which side of the park you will be visiting - east (Estes Park side) or west (Grand Lake side).

Yes, there are areas both inside and outside of RMNP where you can fish from the shore/banks. In RMNP, I have seen people fishing from the shores of Sprague Lake, Lily Lake, Mills Lake, along the Big Thompson River from the bridge at the Kaley Cottage picnic area to name a few. In Estes Park, you can fish Lake Estes, Mary's Lake, the Big Thompson River below the Estes Park dam and down highway 34. On the Grand Lake side, you can access the Colorado River easily from several locations like the Coyote Valley and Holzwarth Historic Site trails.

There are many businesses in Estes Park that specialize in fly fishing. They can give you all the help you need. Estes Angler, Kirk's, Scot's, Sasquatch, Estes Park Mountain Shop

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,294 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing from shore/banks

Be sure you read and are ready to follow the instructions on disinfecting your fishing gear - nps.gov/romo/…Aquatic_Disinfection.pdf

Many great fishing areas have been damaged by fish diseases in our state and RMNP is trying to keep the fishing great there but it takes only one person who brings in something on their fishing equipment for it to be ruined for everyone.

Hope you have a great time.

Hackensack...
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing from shore/banks

Thank you for the info! We will be in the Estes Park area (camping at Moraine). I will definitely check out the shops you mentioned, too.

Hackensack...
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing from shore/banks

That is a good reminder, Susie Lou--thank you! We have a problem in the area I live with invasive species in our lakes and the lake associations and conservation authorities are working so hard to educate people and enforce regulations to try and slow down contamination. We should all be passing the word about these issues whenever we can!

Edited: 12:38 am, June 08, 2014
5. Re: Fishing from shore/banks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 10, 2015