We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Longs Peak?

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Longs Peak?

I am coming in two weeks. Is the Longs Peak trail going to be open? And how hard is it rely. Im in prity good shape, I can easily do the Dear Mnt Trail. But I still consider myself a novice hiker. I just like a good challenge.

Also, My wife wont go with me on this one, is there a way join someone else's group?

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Longs Peak?

May not want to do the keyhole route:

www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/longspeak.htm

Lots of info on web, just google for many blogs. Here's an example:

http://www.mikes-hikes.com/mrh/mrh20.html

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Longs Peak?

I bought a stair master and am training just for this hike (not that I was In bad shape). I am not looking for safe answers.

Sorry

rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park
Level Contributor
621 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Longs Peak?

Longs Peak is a whole different type of hike. Not a little bit different . . . vastly different! It does not compare to Deer Mountain in any way as it is so much more difficult for many reasons.

Longs is MUCH longer, MUCH more exposed, MUCH more elevation gain at (obviously) a MUCH higher elevation and overall MUCH more demanding than something like Deer Mountain.

Do as much online research as possible, check the weather leading up to the day you want to attempt the summit, pay attention to your body and the weather while you are hiking and, by all means, do not hesitate to turn back if needed!

If you decide to go, you will likely meet other folks who are attempting to summit that day. There's always a lot of chatter among the others climbing near you regarding things like sore body parts, fear of heights, how crazy each person feels for trying to do something like this, how much water/food do you have left, etc. Things get especially exciting as you top the Trough and get onto the Narrows section of the Keyhole Route. One VERY important thing to remember is that reaching the summit is only half the hike. Descending Longs takes the same amount of time, concentration and energy as the ascent. Most accidents happen on the descent. There's just no other hike in RMNP that can compare to Longs.

If you would like a challenging hike but don't want to take on something as difficult as Longs, try your luck with Flattop & Hallet (situated next to each other so you can summit two peaks), or Chapin/Chiquita/Ypsilon (3 peaks right around 13,0000 feet all close to each other), Twin Sisters peak or even Mount Ida - a favorite of local hikers.

Since I live here in Estes, I have the luxury to climb Longs when the weather conditions are ideal. This season I went to the summit on August 9th. I have been forced to turn around many times - mainly due to bad weather quickly moving into the area. I take away many things from each climb - how it is always harder than I remember, how different it is from the rest of RMNP and a wonder that there are not more fatalities and injuries on that mountain. Each time I go up, I meet folks who give me the willies seeing how ill prepared they are for that climb.

rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
621 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Longs Peak?

Also, here's a link to the RMNP conditions on Longs: nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/longs_peak_condit…

As you will read, there's been two snow events on Longs already this season. Once there is snow and ice on the route, the climb will then become a 'technical' climb. I'd say there's a good chance there will be more snow and ice over the next couple weeks. It was in the high 50's and raining here in town today. It is very likely there was freezing conditions along the route to Longs.

The first time I went up Longs was in July 2001. Apples in my pack froze as I climbed to the summit. When I got back to town temps there were in the 90's. Again, it is a whole different world.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,783 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Longs Peak?

Things you can not train for - the effect of the altitude and the changes in weather. Start early in the morning, bring plenty of food and water, wear layers and make sure you take photos! Check out the photos on this website and also look for trail/climb descriptions online by Gerry Roach. www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php…

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,576 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Longs Peak?

texranger was not giving you safe answers but answers to encourage you to be safe. As rky said, you need to do online research and the links texranger gave you are a good place to start. The RMNP link has the official brochure for hiking Longs and FAQ's. The blog reference texranger gave you is an eye opening report.

Deer Mountain is the easiest summit hike in RMNP. Rky is giving you good advice about trying some of the other more challenging hikes before you go from hiking the easiest summit to the most difficult.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Longs Peak?

Thanks for your advice.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Longs Peak?

I took me 13.5 hours but I made it. And in one piece too :). Passing through the key hole was an awesome experience. I think I got the last day of good weather too.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Longs Peak?

Good for you! I'm impressed

rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
621 posts