We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brekenridge-Mount Evans- Denver

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Brekenridge-Mount Evans- Denver

How long is the drive time including sightseeing from Brekenridge-Mount Evans-Denver?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brekenridge-Mount Evans- Denver

"including sightseeing"

Drive time can be estimated (and people can make suggestions about what to see) but I'm not really sure anyone can tell you how long you'll be sightseeing.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,495 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brekenridge-Mount Evans- Denver

If you allow 5-6 hours you should be reasonably comfortable. Have fun.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,821 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brekenridge-Mount Evans- Denver

http://www.mapqst/PCbPEz

Since I know you have a 4:00 pm flight out of DIA, I would leave Breck around 7:00 am. The mapquest route above goes to Summit Lake, the summit of Mount Evans is about 5 miles further. Allow an hour for lunch-- Evergreen or on the way to the airport in which case you can delete Evergreen from the mapquest route. Allow an hour for sightseeing. That puts you at the rental car return at 2:00 and at DIA about 2:30. I actually think you can get to the summit of Mount Evans not just Summit Lake in the time allowed.

If you would rather get to the airport sooner, pack a picnic lunch or have snacks and water with you and plan to grab something to eat at the airport.

Edited: 6:05 pm, July 22, 2012
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,821 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brekenridge-Mount Evans- Denver

http://mapq.st/PChNVX

This is the corrected link for the mapquest route. It works. Allow time for all the locations to load.

Edited: 6:11 pm, July 22, 2012
Evergreen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brekenridge-Mount Evans- Denver

DIA to the entrance of the Mount Evans Road is about 1 h. 20 minutes. That's the entrance at Echo Lake, not sure of the time up the road.

Highway 103 from the Evergreen Parkway to Idaho Springs is around 1 h. 10 minutes, so it's about thirty minutes from Echo Lake to IS. Idaho Springs to Breck is about an hour.

Edited: 11:14 am, July 24, 2012
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,821 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brekenridge-Mount Evans- Denver

All the travel times listed in reply #5 are consistent with the mapquest link given in reply #4 and confirms the time frame given in reply #3.

The last 5 miles of the Mount Evans Scenic Byway past Summit Lake are not for the faint of heart. That portion of the drive does qualify as scary mountain driving and you will not get in a hurry.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Brekenridge-Mount Evans- Denver

Thats fine....I have done scary mountain driving on dirt roads in costa rica before....I'm thinking I will be fine. I'll let you know how it goes though

8. Re: Brekenridge-Mount Evans- Denver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 09, 2013