We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Andrews Tarn and Andrews Glacier

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Andrews Tarn and Andrews Glacier

I was just reading this description of Andrews Tarn, and wondering if it's possible to reach it from the continental divide.

protrails.com/trails/view/327/rocky_mountain…

The map makes it look like a fairly easy drop down the glacier, but something tells me it's too good to be true. Anyone know about this one?

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,849 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Andrews Tarn and Andrews Glacier

utahtrails.com/Colorado%20pages/FlattopHalle…

John the backpacker says this is a great description. I hope this helps. If not, rky can probably tell you.

Edited: 10:49 am, July 19, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Andrews Tarn and Andrews Glacier

It looks just as good as it is - it's one of the easier routes to get to the continental divide (Flattop mountain is the most obvious, of course). I've done a loop from Sky pond up Taylor Glacier to Taylor Peak and down Andrews glacier. The only thing to note is that, if you're actually planning on descending down the glacier, I have come across some large crevasses in it before - best to be prepared.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Andrews Tarn and Andrews Glacier

This is great information, thank you. In looking at this map, Tyndall Glacier seems possible too - is it similar to Andrews?

protrails.com/trails/…otis_peak

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Andrews Tarn and Andrews Glacier

Tyndall is possible too, though I've heard from friends who've done it that it's harder to descend than Andrews (I've never personally descended - I've only climbed up and returned down the Flattop trail).

colorado
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Andrews Tarn and Andrews Glacier

Just be extremely careful. You need to be an experienced hiker with self arrest training. There has already been a death this year on Andrews Glacier. We have no idea what type of experience posters have.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,849 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Andrews Tarn and Andrews Glacier

kadeycat, the link I gave in reply #1 gives appropriate warnings about Andrews Glacier. Plus, I would not be too concerned about Dave L from Boulder. Based on this post and others, he appears to be doing some research.

http://www.protrails.com/about_us

rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park
Level Contributor
624 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Andrews Tarn and Andrews Glacier

yep . . . your post in reply #1 is good info. Andrews is MUCH less technical than Tyndall. A few folks head to Andrews via Flattop each year. Only us crazy nuts with a lot of RMNP backcountry experience even try to attempt something as foolish as descending Tyndall . . . and then we constantly questions ourselves before, during and after the event.

Please - as mentioned above - please be prepared for what you are going to undertake. Altitude, backcountry conditions, your experience level, weather, etc. all play a big part on just how enjoyable this will be for you and your fellow hikers.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Andrews Tarn and Andrews Glacier

Yes, drop down or walk up the glacier on the south side. You want to avoid the center ice hump. Sounds like this person did not...

denverpost.com/news/ci_21110215/man-who-died…

rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park
Level Contributor
624 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Andrews Tarn and Andrews Glacier

With all that I see on the trails in RMNP each year, I am truly amazed there are not more fatalities . . . especially places like the glaciers, Longs Peak and other backcountry areas.

10. Re: Andrews Tarn and Andrews Glacier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 17, 2013