We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lodging near RMNP

Iowa
2 posts
Save Topic
lodging near RMNP

We are contemplating a vacation to this area in mid July. Is Estes Park going to be pretty busy? Would Grand Lake be a better spot? We are looking for either a hotel or a cabin to rent that has great mountain views. There is so much stuff on the internet that it is hard to wade through it all. Any advice would be appreciated. We are a family of 4 with young teens, so we need some activities to keep them busy. We do plan on doing some hiking as well.

Thanks,

Tracy

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lodging near RMNP

Yes, Estes Park will be busy in July, but my opinion is that it provides more in the way of restaurants, lodging and activities than Grand Lake does. Nothing wrong with Grand Lake - many people prefer it because it's a little more secluded and smaller. It just depends on what your priorities are. There are places in Estes like the go-cart park and aerial tramway that appeal to families. The Estes side of RMNP also provides more choices in hiking trails that are easy to drive to. Check out this great website for very detailed info on trails in the park: thespiritoftherockies.net/spirit/HikingRMNP.…

I'm more familiar with Estes, but I don't know of a place to stay offhand that would provide great mountain views, at least in town. Many cabins or condos are located on Fall River Road which is a great place to stay, in between the park entrance and town, but it's not high enough to provide a view of the mountains (the river view is nice, though!). I love The Woodlands on Fall River which offers two-bedroom condos with full kitchen. There's a review from October with pictures on this site if you want to see the view. You might also check out lodging outside of Estes on Route 7, perhaps in Allenspark, for places on a ridge that might be what you're looking for.

Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: lodging near RMNP

I like the Grand Lake side because it's a smaller venue with a more relaxed atmosphere. Best lodging I think would be the Snow Mountain Ranch in Granby. It's a YMCA facility with nice 'cabins'--although very modern. The property has hiking/biking trails, horse rentals and is very near Grand Lake, et al.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lodging near RMNP

Estes Park in July is going to be busy very busy. I am posting a link to a web page I use all the time when I go to that part of colorado.

http://www.coloradodirectory.com/estespark/

Hope this helps.

Iowa
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: lodging near RMNP

Thanks for all the help. We are still contemplating so we still welcome other suggestions.

Thanks!