We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olympic National Park - where to stay?

Which Olympic National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
139 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Olympic National Park - where to stay?

Hi,

My husband and I are doing a 9 day vacation arriving at Seatac at 8:30p and then starting our journey next day in the Olympic National Park. We will probably need to break up our drive from the airport that night and stay overnight somewhere along the way. Any suggestions? We are planning to spend 2 nights in the park. Our 2nd night would be in the Quinault Valley and need help deciding where to base ourselves the first night. Our interests are forests, wildlife and beaches, I think we would have to skip Hurricane Ridge. The photos I am seeing of Hoh, Sol Duc falls, Quinault Rainforest, Ruby Beach and Rialto Beach, Merymare falls all interest me. We found available hotels at the beach or Sol Duc. After Olympic National Park we are heading to the Portland area to see Columbia Gorge and Mount St. Helens then back to Seattle for a night and to the San Juan Islands. I was thinking of doing San Juan from Olympic but it looks like it would be a pain taking 2 ferries with a car.

Port Angeles
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Olympic National Park - where to stay?

The Quileute Oceanside Resort in LaPush is right on the beach in a great place to explore, but it's about 25-30 minutes from the highway. Sol Duc Resort has the same remote downside. Sol Duc is often criticized for being too rustic, but if you can handle plywood walls it's just fine. The nearest significant groceries are in Forks or Port Angeles, so buy what you need first. You can also stay at Kalaloch Lodge (if they have space) and that would put you between Quinault and some of the other places you mentioned. They have a tiny little store there, with a restaurant and cabins (again - plywood walls). There are also great tiny accommodations all over the place, but they can be hard to find. Quinault has an innkeepers association, and I think they're now linked to www.OlympicPeninsula.org. Have fun!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olympic National Park - where to stay?

When are you comming? Two nights is kind of rushing it. Oceanside is nice, food is the problem. There are other places to stay in the area that I like if you do not want to spend that much for a room. If you are heading to Oregon after Olympic, going to the Northern section of the Park first would make more sense. Quinault would get you closer to your Oregon for your next day of driving.

I would consider spending the first night on Bainbridge Island. Then you would not have to deal with the ferry the next morning. Trying to do everything you have on your list is going to make for one very long day.

You are not going to want to here this, but my best advise would be to stay one night around Port Angeles and one night around Forks and skip Quinault. Or skip the waterfalls and the Hoh and go straight to a Quinault and spend two night there. From there you could drive about 30 minutes to beautiful Ruby Beach and Beach 3. Trying to do do much with two nights is a mistake. You need to add another night! I have lots of suggestions if you do for where to stay, but I need dates and what you are comfortable with spending. Weekends for some places require two nights.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
139 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olympic National Park - where to stay?

Thank you for your responses. I didn't know if I would hear back from anyone so I went ahead and booked the Oceanside Resort, the Quinault River Inn and I'm thinking of doing the Rainforest lodge because I couldn't get 2 nights at River Inn unfortunately. The Quinault River Lodge just seems to pricey for the type of room we would be getting. Below is my itinerary for ONP...

Arrive 8:30p Seatac

Stay overnight at a Motel somewhere in Bremerton or Silverdale - I randomly chose this since it was a little over an hour drive from Seatac.

Next morning

Lake Crescent for Marymere falls

Sol Duc Falls - lunch there

La Push and check out the beaches there for sunset and cook ourselves dinner

Overnight Oceanside Resort

Wake up early for low tide at Hole in the Wall

Any breakfast suggestions in Forks?

Drive to Hoh Rainforest - Is there anywhere to get lunch around here or on the way to Ruby Beach?

Ruby Beach

Salmon house for Dinner

Overnight in Quinault River Inn

Next morning - Rainforest tour with Quinault lodge

Maple glade trail - Quinault River loop -What is the best hike for old growth, mossy green trails or any beautiful hikes? not too difficult

Eat at the Quinault lodge

Overnight Rainforest Lodge

Continue south to Portland or Mt. St Helens depending on how we feel

Edited: 10:06 pm, August 10, 2013
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olympic National Park - where to stay?

There is no place in Forks I can recommend for breakfast. Decent espresso stand though. Better off just getting something to tide you over at the Market. You could have lunch at Kalaloch past Kalaloch . Maple Glades is very dry right now, I was just there. Water is what makes it so pretty. Rain forest trail is lovely and has some great giant firs. Walk to ancient cedar across from the Rain Forest Resort instead of Maple Glades. Nicest hike is to Pony Bridge, but you have to drive to the end of the gravel South Shore Road and then 2 .5 mile hike.

5. Re: Olympic National Park - where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 12, 2014