We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ONP to San Juan Islands

Which Olympic National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
ONP to San Juan Islands

hi any advice on best way to get from ONP to SJI? We plan on spending 3-4 in ONP, then onto SJI. Also We are coming from the Olympia direction. Is it best to access ONP from the south? or drive up to Port Angeles?

Thanks

Friday Harbor...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ONP to San Juan Islands

If you have a car with you and you are in the Olympic peninsula wanting to come out here to the San Juan islands to the best route to go & the one we ourselves recommend and always take is the ferry from Port Townsend to Coupeville on Whidbey island. Advance reservations for the Coupeville to PT route are available (and suggested) for that run from the WSDOT website. https:/… . Comfortable driving times from the Anacortes ferry dock to the Coupeville ferry dock would take most people about 1 hour 30 minutes or so with the speed of traffic going on the main roads (route 20). The main road on Whidbey is a quite heavily traveled two lane road BTW.

2. Re: ONP to San Juan Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:40 am, July 14, 2013
Edited: 10:40 am, July 14, 2013
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ONP to San Juan Islands

That's the route I'd suggest. But, are you going to visit Victoria? You could take a different route to SJI.

What is the rest of your itinerary? Knowing this would help answer your questions.

You asked: " Is it best to access ONP from the south? or drive up to Port Angeles?" I don't understand your question, you are coming from the south... or are you asking about the option of driving up the west side of the Olympic Peninsula? It depends on where you have lodging, I suppose, for your first night in the park; I assume you have two different locations (?).

Edited: 10:42 am, July 14, 2013
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,416 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ONP to San Juan Islands

I am also a little confused. What route to take to Olympic depends on your itinerary. Where are you staying in the Park.

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ONP to San Juan Islands

Sorry for the confusing question… Our itinerary was a little discombobulated at that point!

This is what we’re looking at for 10 days: Fly to Seattle. Rent a car at Federal Way and drive to Tacoma area to meet a friend. Stay at Gig Harbor area first night. Drive to ONP coming from the south rte119 thru Staircase/Enchanted Valley. Head west to the coast; see Lake Quinault area, Ruby Beach and possibly La Push or Rialto. Stay on the west coast- would Kalaloch area be good central location or further north up the coast? The next 3-5 days (we’re not sure how much time to allot) we would like to see: Hoh RF, Mt. Olympus, Sol Duc, Hurricane Ridge, Lake Crescent. Would Sol Duc area be a good central location? We would like to stay in one place for those days. Then onto SJI for a few days, either San Juan or Orcas- opinion on islands would also be appreciated. Then onto Seattle for last day or days depending on how much time we need in ONP or SJI. WOW! I know this sounds like a lot! We may need a vacation after this vacationJ Is there anything we’re missing that you feel is a “must see”?

Is it very difficult to get ferries and accommodations to SJI over the weekend?

Thank you so much!

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ONP to San Juan Islands

Sorry for the confusing question… Our itinerary was a little discombobulated at that point!

This is what we’re looking at for 10 days: Fly to Seattle. Rent a car at Federal Way and drive to Tacoma area to meet a friend. Stay at Gig Harbor area first night. Drive to ONP coming from the south rte119 thru Staircase/Enchanted Valley. Head west to the coast; see Lake Quinault area, Ruby Beach and possibly La Push or Rialto. Stay on the west coast- would Kalaloch area be good central location or further north up the coast? The next 3-5 days (we’re not sure how much time to allot) we would like to see: Hoh RF, Mt. Olympus, Sol Duc, Hurricane Ridge, Lake Crescent. Would Sol Duc area be a good central location? We would like to stay in one place for those days. Then onto SJI for a few days, either San Juan or Orcas- opinion on islands would also be appreciated. Then onto Seattle for last day or days depending on how much time we need in ONP or SJI. WOW! I know this sounds like a lot! We may need a vacation after this vacationJ Is there anything we’re missing that you feel is a “must see”?

Thank you so much!

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ONP to San Juan Islands

Thank you so much!

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ONP to San Juan Islands

Thank you so much!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ONP to San Juan Islands

I just read your other post where you said: Trying to wrap my mind around a PNW vaycay. Husband and I flying into Seattle on July 22 thru Aug 1. Unsure how much time you actually have "on the ground" excluding flight arrival and departure times. You'll be well served by being in Seattle prior to your flight.

To answer your questions, above:

One, I'd choose San Juan Island, article pasted below. See #5.

Two, as said in the paste, at least one night, we always spend 2 - 3 nights, typically on SJI.

Three, to get there, again, in the article with lots of advice, you'd have to take the Port Townsend ferry to Coupeville, drive north to Anacortes. You'll want reservations for that ferry. Be at the Anacortes terminal at least 1.5 hours ahead of ferry departure.

Four, if early enough at the ferry, no problem. I'll paste the "congestion table" soon.

Five. lodging reservations warrant phone calls asap; of course, it's very late, it's tourist season and there are limited lodgings. While I prefer SJI for its many things to see/to do, try both there and on Orcas Island. You can visit the other using the inter-island ferry.

Note: Rather than the thrash, and perhaps limited time, you might consider keeping it simple and exploring Whidbey Island, article below.

San Juan Islands TA Article, includes the official guide to the Islands.

Specific information on what to see and to do on the major islands, with key websites. Best seen with at least one overnight for each island. Or base on one, visit others as day trips. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju…

Whidbey Island WI is a great day or more getaway with many features of the Pacific NW; this TA article includes key websites, tours, maps. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

Edited: 10:24 am, July 18, 2013
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ONP to San Juan Islands

Here are the ferry tables/schedules you'll want to know.

https:/…default.aspx

wsdot.com/Ferries/…

…wa.gov/ferries/traffic_stats/congestion/sum…

wsdot.com/ferries/…

…wa.gov/ferries/traffic_stats/congestion/sum…

Edited: 10:31 am, July 18, 2013