We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalaloch to PDX

USA
Level Contributor
293 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Kalaloch to PDX

Hi all,

I'll be in the OP for close to a week later this year. Initially, I had planned on booking an overnight stay at Kalaloch the night before we drive back south to PDX. I know it's not a quick afternoon drive, and I realize we might be so tired after many days of hiking that a generic hotel in Olympia would be perfect. I'm going to propose that, but when I do, I want to have a third option, if there is one. Is there anywhere else that would be remotely worth staying at? Olympia seems to be the best choice at this point. We are renting a car, btw.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,301 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalaloch to PDX

It would help to know your itinerary. Although it will not get you that much closer to Portland Lake Quinault will save you another 30 miles driving the next day. Your other options besides Olympia are places like Centralia and Kelso along Interstate 5; if all you need is a motel on your way to Portland. I am assuming if you are dropping off the car at PDX, you know about hwy 205 to avoid going into Portland?

USA
Level Contributor
293 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalaloch to PDX

We're heading north to Miller Tree Inn from Portland. That's going to be our home base as we pick and choose. That sounds vague, but this will be my third time in the area, so I'm going to focus on hikes I haven't done and sights my friend most wants to see. You've actually provided the perfect amount of information, and I like the suggestion of Quinault; I didn't think of that.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,301 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalaloch to PDX

If you are talking Summer and you want to hike the mountains, then Forks is not a good base, unless you are also planning on staying closer to Port Angeles. I have to be honest it is better to have a plan for hikes! The park is too big to wing it at the last minute. Unless you really know the Park you could be wasting a lot of time.The only reason to be vague untill you get here is if the weather does not cooperate.

4. Re: Kalaloch to PDX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 04, 2014