We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping Advice for July 2013

Reading...
Level Contributor
41 posts
344 reviews
Save Topic
Camping Advice for July 2013

I need some advice about camping in Olympic National Park in mid-July. I'd like to spend two nights in the Forks area-either at Kalaloch or Mora maybe? I want to do some hiking at Kalaloch and Mora as well as visit the Hoh Rain Forest. I know that you can only reserve sites at Kalaloch, but it seems like I would do a lot more driving that way (to get to Mora and Hoh). Also, I would be coming from near Portland that day, so I probable wouldn't arrive until around noon.

I don't mind setting up camp somewhere different each night, but I'm a little nervous about that fact that the rest of the sites are first-come, first-serve. I travel alone, and I don't like the thought of not being able to find a place to stay. Does anyone know how early some of the non-reservable campgrounds fill?

I'd also like to spend a night at Sol-Duc (which would end up being on a Friday) and am wondering how quickly that fills as well?

Or if someone has another suggestion for visiting that area of the park, I'd love to hear it as well.

Thanks!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,624 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping Advice for July 2013

Kalaloch really is too far from the Hoh. How many nights are you talking about camping? Weekends are the worst time to find a campsite, as you get so many people from Seattle heading to the Penninsula. I honestly think that if you headed straight for the Hoh or Mora and got there early in the afternoon you could find a campsite. There are other options in the area even if you did not get a campsite in a National Park Campground. Most campgrounds fillup in the early evening. You could always stop at the Ranger Station at Kalaloch and they can give you a reasonable update. Same thing for the visitor's center in Forks before heading for the Sol Duc. Again there are other options in these areas for campsites including private and National Forest if you are unlucky.

Other campsites are Bogachiel , La Push, Minnie Peterson and Three River's Resort. Near the Sol duc you also have Klahowya and Fairholme at the end of Lake Crescent.

2. Re: Camping Advice for July 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 13, 2014