We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoh Rainforest in August

Dallas
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hoh Rainforest in August

My boys, 8 and 3, and I will be visiting Forks first week of August. What are the best hikes in the area, maybe 1 - 2 hours each way? They are good little hikers and love the natural world. Are both the beaches and the rainforest trails accessible as daytrips from Forks? Are there crowds of people we should be aware of in these areas at this time of year? Very excited to see this region and share it with my sons.

Many Thanks in Advance,

Lance

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,292 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hoh Rainforest in August

Lance I will wright more latter, as my ferry and gorgeous view of Rainier are coming to a close. Second Beach, Rialto Beach and the Hoh are all very easy . Yes all are very accessible from Forks. Some people do not like Forks. It is not in my top 10 for nicest towns in Wa., but it is the best place to stay if you really want to make the most of these places. Food is the biggest problem if you want more than decent burgers or can cook yourself. Where are you saying in Forks?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,174 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hoh Rainforest in August

The Hoh RF is a little over one hour from Forks. the only trail your three year could take is the .9 mile, 20 minute Hall of Mosses Trail. Rialto Beach is about 40 minutes from Forks. It's perfect for both children. You can go as long as you like. Second Beach is lovely, but you have to hike 20 minutes through the woods to reach it. Then you must clamber over a large driftwood barrier to reach the sand. If your 3 year old is up for this, the beach is gorgeous and never, ever crowded.

Dallas
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hoh Rainforest in August

Dew Drop, we just need a base for good rest and Good location

Dallas
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hoh Rainforest in August

What accommodations do you recommend?

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,292 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hoh Rainforest in August

I have never stayed at the Dew Drop, but have stayed at Forks Hotel and Pacific Inn. I would assume the DD is similar. Fine just to sleep. I will mention, that if you want something a little nicer check the Huckelberry Lodge. If they have anything available, I bet their smaller cabin is in the same price range. Quieter location and your kids will enjoy the evening fires! Rialto does not have the short hike and driftwood to deal with. How long are you visiting? You may want to visit Hurricane Ridge, Lake Crescent and SolDuc Falls.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,174 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hoh Rainforest in August

I have stayed at the Dew Drop. It was a basic, perfectly acceptable motel. It was clean, and the AC worked well. My problem was that there was no good place to eat and nothing to do after dinner. The motel was fine.

Dallas
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hoh Rainforest in August

What is the drive time from Forks to the Sol Duc Falls trailhead? Thanks for all your sugestions

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,127 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hoh Rainforest in August

Maybe 1.25 hours.

Dallas
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hoh Rainforest in August

Well, we are spending a couple of nights in Port Angeles before heading over to Forks. Should we visit Sol Duc on the way? On a map, it looks like 101 goes right by it and lake crescent

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,127 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hoh Rainforest in August

That's what I would do.