We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver to ONP to Seattle

Chicago
5 posts
Save Topic
Vancouver to ONP to Seattle

My husband and I and our four year old are traveling from Vancouver via Ferry to ONP to Seattle the back to Vancouver. We are travel junkies and love the off beat path/local sort of experience.

1. Which beaches, hikes with our daughter(she cannot go too far yet) or restaurants you would recommend? We have 3 1/2 days there.

2. Any advice on The Cabins at Beaver Creek and Quinault Lodge since it is the only thing left available in the park.

3. How is the drive south around to Seattle? Is there anything to see that way?

4. Ideas for the trip from Seattle to Vancouver? Thank you!!!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver to ONP to Seattle

The Cabins at Beaver Creek are very nice. They are in a nice setting. I think they are one of the better options for places to stay in the Forks area. You should have a kitchenette, so consider eating in. The burgers at Three Rivers Resort on the way to beautiful Rnialto Beach are pretty good along with their shakes. Rialto is where you will want to bring your daughter. It is a great beach, and you can avoid climbing over driftwood with your daughter. Friends tell me the Mexican Restaurant on the Eastside of of the Street in Forks is pretty good. I have not tried it yet. Besides Rialto, you must visit the Hoh Rainforest south of

Forks. Walk the Hall of Mosses Nature Trail. Also if your daughter is still up fo walking go a little ways on the main river trail. It was so beautiful last weekend in a light rain, that my wife and I only made it a couple of miles. We stopped about every ten yards to take photos of what we were surrounded by. Staying at the cabins you will not be that far from the SolDuc River Valley and Lake Crescent. Drive to the end of The Sol Duc Valley to the large parking lot. Walk the 1 mile thru forest to beautiful SolDuc Falls. Forgot when you are heading west to Lake Crescent, stop at Granny's Cafe for soft ice cream cones.

I really like Lake Quinault Lodge. The restaurant is good, and there are several beautiful nature walks near the Lodge. If you mean the drive to Seattle via Aberdeen and Olympia, it is very boring! It is, however, an easy drive and the fastest way back to Seattle from Quinault.

Chicago
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver to ONP to Seattle

Thank you. For the rain forest., is it better sunrise, mid day or sunset in your opinion?

Edited: 4:33 pm, July 03, 2012
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver to ONP to Seattle

First I am asumming you are talking about a Summer visit? Well you have a bit of a drive to the Hoh from the Cabins, so I do not know if you really can get going that early for sunrise! That said, the best times to see wildlife is very early in the morning and at dusk. Two reasons; less humans around on the trails spooking them and they feel safer from predators with the low light. I find both times magical at the Hoh, especially with less people. This time of year the dimmer the light the better in the forest for photography. The green which you will find hard to believe is that much more dramatic. Elk can often be seen in the Hoh Campground grazing on the grass early in the morning. At dusk the elk can often be seen just outside the Park in pastures on private property. so observe from the side of the road. Last weekend we were driving along the Bogischiel River when I mentioned to my wife that this huge grassy field would be a great place to return to to see elk. Of course ten seconds latter we see one off in the distance.

Make sure you hit Rialto Beach at lowtide. Head South about a mile or more to view the wonderful tidepools. I think you will love Beaver Creek. They have a campfire in the evening with their guests, and you will be able to listen to and walk to the river. Not very deep, but watch your child. They also have 4 barking dogs, but they are fine once they get used to you. Cows and a horse for your child to see. It is a nice property to walk around. I would take this over a large motel anytime!

Chicago
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver to ONP to Seattle

Thank you again. Please know that your comments are really taken to heart and we plan to do all that you have recommended. It sounds right up our alley.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,329 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver to ONP to Seattle

Which route are you planning to take to get to ONP from Vancouver? I presume you will drive south out of Vancouver, cross the US border, then turn west on US highway 20 at Sedro Woolly towards Anacortes, across Deception Pass to Whitby Island, then take the ferry from Keystone across to Port Townsend, then back around towards Port Angeles?

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver to ONP to Seattle

Feel free to ask any followup questions. We stayed in another cabin in Forks last weekend and enjoyed every minute of it. Hopefully like us you will have an opportunity like we did to sit around a big campfire and meet some great people. Please let me know how your visit went.

7. Re: Vancouver to ONP to Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, July 05, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Olympic National Park