We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lodging:sequim waterfront vs lake sutherland waterfront

Which Olympic National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
miami
Level Contributor
80 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
lodging:sequim waterfront vs lake sutherland waterfront

Can't decide which area to choose. Any advice regarding pros and cons of each area would be appreciated.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lodging:sequim waterfront vs lake sutherland waterfront

It would help if I knew when you were visiting. Let me give you some info. Lake Sutherland is not in the park, and it allows jet skis. It is a very, very crowded scene with houses right on top of each other. In the summer, when the jet skis are roaring, there is no peace at all. I have acquaintances who sold their house on Lake S because they could not stand the summer noise. If you like to jet ski, this is the place for you. If noise bothers you, and you are visiting during the summer, don't go.

Lake Sutherland also has two very different aspects. The sunny part is very sunny; the shady part is quite dark except during midsummer. The sunny part is much more built up and crowded than the shady side. If you are renting a house, ask if the house is on the shady side or the sunny side of the lake. You can swim in Lake Sutherland during the summer. The water is not as clean as the water in Lake Crescent - way too many houses for that - but it is a little warmer.

You don't say which part of the Sequim waterfront. Some areas are more crowded than others, but none is as crowded as Lake Sutherland. The only downside to Sequim waterfront that I know is that certain sections of the beach are subject to smelly seaweed during low tide. This only holds true in a few areas. You cannot swim in the Straits of San Juan de Fuca. It's way too cold.

Lake Sutherland is closer to the park attractions like Lake Crescent, Hurricane Ridge, the Hoh Rain Forest, and the beaches by about 30 minutes. Sequim has the best restaurant on the Olympic Peninsula, Alder Wood Bistro, but the town itself is boring.

miami
Level Contributor
80 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lodging:sequim waterfront vs lake sutherland waterfront

First of all, I would like to thank you for your website. I have been on it several times and it is extremely helpful.

Lake Sutherland sounds way too noisy for what we are looking for.

The house in Sequim is near 3 Crabs Road and it is on the water -

the views look amazing. I been reading some posts and the general consensus is that Sequim is not a good choice for ONP but it looks like it is only about 15-20 minutes outside of Port Angeles. Is this accurate?

How is the drive from Port Angeles to Sequim?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lodging:sequim waterfront vs lake sutherland waterfront

Take the 3Crabs house. I know the area. It's only 15 to 20 minutes from Port Angeles. That means it is actually just as close to Hurricane Ridge as Lake Sutherland, and it's only 15 to 20 minutes farther from the Hoh, Rialto Beach, etc... It's also very close to the lovely Dungeness Spit and to Towne Rd. in the Dungeness Valley. Towne Rd. is worth a visit because Nash Huber's farm stand is there, as is Dungeness Valley Creamery. There is a also a really pretty, pastoral trail on the Dungeness Dyke that runs along the Dungeness River. There is even a swimming spot on the river, although I advise you to be careful and not go in unless other people are around. Bald eagles abound on this trail.

I think you will love staying there. Have a great vacation.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,626 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lodging:sequim waterfront vs lake sutherland waterfront

Kaleberg is right. I think you will feel a lot less claustraphobic. It has seen better days and I know a lot of people do not eat at the 3Crabs Restaurant, but there crab slammers are to die for.

5. Re: lodging:sequim waterfront vs lake sutherland waterfront

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, November 23, 2010