We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One month to go - please review ONP trip plans.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
71 posts
One month to go - please review ONP trip plans.

I’ve followed this forum daily after I posted an initial itinerary months ago. I’ve since tweaked my plans, flight times, etc and think I’m closer, but I’d appreciate one last review. I’ve regrettably left out Cape Flattery, Cape Alava, Ruby Beach, and Quinault because of distance and time, but if you think missing any of these is a huge mistake please suggest a swap and I’ll gladly trade something out.

Mon July 15 - Arrive SEA 5:40. Drive, dinner and groceries . Overnight at Olympic View in Sequim.

Tues July 16 - Early start (body still on eastern time) to Dunginess Spit (sunrise at 5:28 and low tide at 9:48), followed by a visit to Purple Haze lavender farm - it’s the week before the Lavender Festival so I assume the fields will be peak bloom/color. Head towards Forks Airbnb, with a stop by Madison Falls and hopefully time and energy for the 50 minute hike to Marymere Falls. Overnight Forks.

Wed July 17 - Explore Second Beach sea stacks and tidal pools until around 9 or so (sunrise 5:37, low tide is -1.33 at 7:46 ). Drive to Hoh and hike to 5 mile island for picnic lunch. Return to Rialto beach in time to see Hole in the Wall and be back to the parking area near sunset. If sunset is at 9:11 how early should we arrive at Rialto? Overnight in Forks.

Thur July 18 - Sol Duc Falls and then check in at Lake Crescent Lodge. Afternoon choices are Spruce RR trail, boat tour or just relaxing by the lake...

Fri July 19 - Early drive to Hurricane Ridge to hike Klahhane Ridge. Afterward maybe time to explore the Visitor Center area, but need to return to Port Angeles in time for the 5:30 CoHo ferry to Victoria. Is leaving the Visitor Center by 3 a safe target time?

Some days are packed I know but hopefully we can rest up afterwards with almost a week in Victoria/Friday Harbor before we end our trip with another hiking-packed 3 days at Mt Rainier.

Thanks in advance for reviewing my plans and any suggestions you make! Advice from the local experts really makes a difference and is greatly appreciated. Again, if Flattery, Alava, Ruby or some other gem needs to make an appearance I’m open to changes.

15 replies to this topic
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
13,225 posts
20 reviews
19 helpful votes
1. Re: One month to go - please review ONP trip plans.

It will take you around 90 minutes to drive from Lake Crescent Lodge to Klahhane Ridge. Unfortunately, you are traveling on a weekday, so you will get nailed by the road construction delays along Lake Crescent, and they are truly bad. It will also be a nasty drive from Sol Duc Falls to Lake Crescent Lodge due to those delays. Expect it to take about 1 hour.

Leaving the mountain at 3:00 pm should give you plenty of time to get to the dock by 4:30.

Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
95 reviews
68 helpful votes
2. Re: One month to go - please review ONP trip plans.

I'm a little curious about the choice of Olympic View in Sequim. Was there a particular reason you chose this hotel? I live in Sequim and if I were picking a hotel, I would probably go with the Quality Inn or the Holiday Inn Express in Sequim. There is nothing wrong with the Olympic View. It's located right next to the main road and has a RV park associated with it. Lots of traffic and a road that cuts right through the hotel property. You may need to cross a road to get the the hotel office. It is a little older than the others but I think it was renovated a few years ago.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
71 posts
3. Re: One month to go - please review ONP trip plans.

Well I thought the Olympic View had been recommended on this board several times... That’s the only reason I picked it over one of the chain brands. I’ll recheck my options

Dunginess Spit and Purple Haze sound ok for a Sequim morning?

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
71 posts
4. Re: One month to go - please review ONP trip plans.

Thanks kaleberg for the time estimates, and for your many other posts I’ve read and used to plan our trip!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,225 posts
20 reviews
19 helpful votes
5. Re: One month to go - please review ONP trip plans.

I suspect this is yet another name mistake. We recommend Olympic Lodge in Port Angeles, not Olympic View in Sequim.

Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
95 reviews
68 helpful votes
6. Re: One month to go - please review ONP trip plans.

Dungeness Spit and Purple Haze sound fine for a morning. You control the time by choosing how far you walk down the spit.

7. Re: One month to go - please review ONP trip plans.

Given the construction delays along the lake do you think I should stay on hwy 112 from Sequim to Forks and move Madison and Marymere Falls from Tuesday to Thursday when we are going to Lake Crescent Lodge anyway. If I do that and avoid the construction is there anything long this new route I should add Tuesday afternoon?

8. Re: One month to go - please review ONP trip plans.

Apparently I'm different people on my desktop computer and my tablet...didn't realize it until just now.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,225 posts
20 reviews
19 helpful votes
9. Re: One month to go - please review ONP trip plans.

Madison Falls is not between Lake Crescent and Forks. It is just to the east of Port Angeles.

I'd take 112, but you are still going to have a very long drive from Sequim to Forks, and, no, there is nothing to see on the way. It's going to take you about 2 hours, and it could be more.

Can't you change to Olympic Lodge in Port Angeles? It would be a far better choice than your lodging in Sequim.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
71 posts
10. Re: One month to go - please review ONP trip plans.

Thanks for the quick reply. I did switch to the Quality Inn in Sequim - so glad I mentioned the original hotel and got the feedback! I thought we’d stop in Sequim the first night so we could hike Dunginess Spit and visit a lavender farm there. (If Hurricane Hill was open I would have opted for that instead.) Would you recommend switching hotels again and a totally different plan for Tuesday?

Reply to: One month to go - please review ONP trip plans.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted