We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day trip

Washington
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
2 day trip

We have been living in the Seattle area for about 6 months and have yet to explore the Olympic National Park. We will be driving from Federal Way and have 2 days to do this trip. Can anyone give me suggestions of stops along the way and a good place to stay for the night. Oh ya, traveling with a small dog too. Thanks

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 day trip

I'd go North on I-5 and take any ferry across. Drive the Hood Canal Floating Bridge to Pt. Angeles. Google Olympic National Park, and you'll have a map that is quite easy to follow. Definitely see Hurricane Ridge, the road to Sol Duc Hot Springs (and sights en route), and the Hoh Rain Forest. You then can complete the circle via Olympia back to Federal Way.

Of course, you could reverse this route...

Because the days are not yet long, strongly advise leaving quite early to maximize your daylight to and in ONP.

There are lots of motels along the route, but you might find Pt. Angeles or Pt. Townsend a good overnight point. If you have not been to Pt. Townsend, well worth seeing.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 day trip

The loop trip as voyaging suggests works well in either direction.

However, since this is your first trip I would suggest that you go from Seattle to Port Angeles. Be sure to stop at the Park Visitor Center in Port Angeles and watch their short film. It gives you an excellent overview of the Park.

There are so many options for lodging, it just depends on what you like. Good motels and B&Bs in Port Angeles and Port Townsend.

We like the cabins at Lake Crescent Lodge, but it is closed for the winter. Check out Kalaloch Lodge (www.visitkalaloch.com). It is on a bluff next to the ocean or Lake Quinault Lodge (www.visitlakequinault.com). Both offer a variety of accomodations including cabins where pets are allowed. We've also stayed at the Forks Motel in Forks, WA --not fancy, but clean and comfortable and reasonably priced. Forks is about the halfway point between Hurricane Ridge and the Hoh Rain Forest. Be sure to check at the Visitor Center make sure Hurricane Ridge road is open--they might have snow this time of year.

Enjoy your trip, the Olympics are beautiful any time of the year.

3. Re: 2 day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, August 18, 2009