We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it too early to camp in North Cascades NP and Baker Lake?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
54 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Is it too early to camp in North Cascades NP and Baker Lake?

We are planning to drive through and camp in the North Cascades NP (either Colonial Creek or Newhalem) and then in Panorama Point at Baker Lake on our way back from Osoyoos, BC. to Vancouver, BC. The dates we will be there are June 22 to 24th.

My questions are:

1. Is it still too early to camp in these places? It has been mostly raining or overcast lately around Vancouver and we just have a tent. Are the chances high that we'd be cold and wet?

2. I understand that one has to bring in food to the park. What is the biggest town east of the park on the way from Osoyoos where we can buy food?

3. Does anyone have a preference between Newhalem CG or the Colonial Creek CG? Do you know if there ranger evening program has started or when it will start?

Thanks a lot!

Boston, Ma.
Level Contributor
153 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it too early to camp in North Cascades NP and Baker Lake?

SomeTraveller, Would like to piggyback your question too. Have done RNP and ONP so heading north to the Cascades with DD. Will be arriving this weekend 6/18 so I hope we hear from the TA experts soon. Thanks for any and all suggestions and recommendations. Will be checking forum. Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,584 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it too early to camp in North Cascades NP and Baker Lake?

It would seem to me this link is a much more efficient way to suss out current conditions at NCNP.

nps.gov/noca/…current-park-conditions.htm

Boston, Ma.
Level Contributor
153 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it too early to camp in North Cascades NP and Baker Lake?

Pala32, I agree...good site and have already investigated it. However I was hoping to hear from anyone who might have been there recently or has had previous camping experience around this time of year. I certainly know weather conditions change quickly and could alter camping enjoyment...just wanted a general idea. Is it generally very muddy, buggy, snowy etc. at this time of year?

Also does anyone have opinions on those different campsites Traveller asked about?

Edited: 12:51 pm, June 14, 2010
4. Re: Is it too early to camp in North Cascades NP and Baker Lake?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 12, 2010