We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pronounce Mount Rainier

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
172 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
Pronounce Mount Rainier

After just getting back from Mount Rainier National Park, I'm still not sure how to pronounce it. I know it's not pronounced as "more rainy" (this place is rainier than the other one), like it's spelled. Is it Rain-near (2 syllables) or more like 1 syllable, Rah-near?

Thanks

Washington
Level Contributor
558 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pronounce Mount Rainier

Ray-near.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pronounce Mount Rainier

Rory girl is right.

And on similar subject. Rainier is misspelled here on TA close to 50% of time, Ranier, Rainer are most often used. I choose not to correct them, cause I am sure I misspell places in other states. And I still have a problem with several Wash places like Stillaguamish and Steilacoom

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,562 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pronounce Mount Rainier

The litmus test for local v. newbie is "Puyallup."

Mukilteo, Washington
Level Contributor
746 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pronounce Mount Rainier

rorygirl has the pronunciation for you; however, there are many among us that think it should be known by it's Native American name, Tahoma or Tacoma, as Denali in Alaska is now known (instead of Mt McKinley).

The minor peak rising from the mountain's shoulder is already known as Little Tahoma and Tahoma is a far more appropriate name for such a magnificent mountain than the name of some obscure English officer.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
172 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pronounce Mount Rainier

It's funny because even when I was in Washington I heard more people refer to it Ruh-near than Ray-near.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,562 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pronounce Mount Rainier

Memory lane... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz-WuLQz_ns

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pronounce Mount Rainier

Most folks in Washington pronounce it ray-NEAR.

British explorer Captain George Vancouver named the mountain for his friend Rear Admiral Peter Rainier - and the British family name pronunciation is more like RAINY-er.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pronounce Mount Rainier

ibgardyloo #6

LOL! We always called it Rainbeer after that commercial. Thanks for the blast from the past!

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pronounce Mount Rainier

According to dictionary.com, Rory is close....but not quite on. It verbalizes Rainier as ruh-near.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
172 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pronounce Mount Rainier

Bobmrg, I've seen reference to that online before. My question for you is, being that you're from Washington, do you pronounce it like that or hear others do so? Most of the Washington locals here seem to agree that it's Ray-near, not like the dictionary pronounciation.

Get answers to your questions about Mount Rainier National...