We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best spot near Paradise for wildlife viewing?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
72 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
Best spot near Paradise for wildlife viewing?

Staying at the Paradise Inn Lodge in late August. Can anyone recommend a nearby location to sit with my spotting scope and watch wildlife at dusk and dawn? Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Paradise Inn at Mount Rainier
Paradise Inn at Mount...
864 Reviews
Paradise, WA
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,010 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best spot near Paradise for wildlife viewing?

We leave for the park in a few days. I'll report back with sightings. We've all been spoiled, however, for wildlife observations by Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, so don't be disappointed here. Kitters is a local expert; hope he's reading this.

In hiking, we see a few animals: visitrainier.com/pg/wildflowersWildlife_view…

Mentioned in this post
Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best spot near Paradise for wildlife viewing?

We saw a black bear in the meadow just below the lower parking lot of the Visitors Center( Paradise) last week. It was awesome!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
72 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best spot near Paradise for wildlife viewing?

Definitely could get spoiled from the wildlife at Glacier, Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, but I'm sure I won't be disappointed, wildlife or not. Besides, coming from NYC my wife and I are entertained by any and all wildlife.

Keep me posted about what you see and learn during your visit.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,297 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best spot near Paradise for wildlife viewing?

This would be a good question to ask at the visitor center when you get there--I'm sure they can point you in the right direction. Luckily most wildlife at Rainier aren't as accustomed to humans as they are in Yellowstone and such, so you won't get in a bear jam or see wildlife sleeping in a parking lot. Though there is a "problem" bear at Glacier Basin right now...:) It's also pretty easy to predict where goats are.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
72 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best spot near Paradise for wildlife viewing?

Saw plenty of marmot and deer, and some grouse on the lower trails at Paradise - Skyline, Nisqually and Alta Vista trails.

A ranger told us we would have a good chance of seeing bear at the lower portion of the Paradise Loop drive, but we didn't see any.

Mentioned in this post
Paradise Loop
Paradise Loop
115 Reviews
Mount Rainier National Park, WA
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,010 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best spot near Paradise for wildlife viewing?

And I forgot to re-post, if only to say, our out of town friends chose the Olympic Peninsula rather than Mt. RNP.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,771 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best spot near Paradise for wildlife viewing?

I am surprised the ranger said that. Range can be about 20 to 100 square miles. I am assuming there were lots of huckleberries in that area. If you ever return, visit Olympic Ntional Park in the early fall for the rut season of Roosevelt Elk. Something to behold. I met a professional photographer taking pictures with me at dawn on the Quinault who had a cougar crouching near him as he was photographing a herd in almost the same spot on another occasion.

Edited: 3:22 pm, September 03, 2013
8. Re: Best spot near Paradise for wildlife viewing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 05, 2014