We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging Advice / Itinerary

Omaha
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging Advice / Itinerary

We are coming to Seattle the last week of July. We'd love to see Mt. Rainier, especially the wildflowers while we are there. We arrive in Seattle at noon on a Tuesday. We don't have anything planned until the evening on Wednesday when we need to pick up my son at the airport at 7:30 pm.

Where should we spend Tuesday night and what route should we take based on needing to be at Sea Tac on Wednesday night?

Thanks very much!!!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging Advice / Itinerary

You could easily just drive directly from the airport to Mount Rainier on Tuesday. It is only a couple of hours. You could spend the remainder of Tuesday at Paradise enjoying strolls among the meadows, and hopefully, great views of the mountain. If you can get a room, you can stay right in the park. On Wednesday, you can do some more hiking in the meadows at Paradise, or drive around to Sunrise and do some hikes there and then head back to the airport in plenty of time to pick up your son.

I did a quick check and it looks like there are rooms available at both the Paradise Inn and the National Park Inn on July 30. I would recommend the Paradise Inn. It is a bit rustic, but Paradise is aptly named and you can walk out of the Inn and be on the trails in a minute or two. If you can't get a room in the park, then you can search for rooms in Ashford, WA. There are several choices. The rangers in the visitor center can give you good advice as to what trails will best meet your needs.

From Sea Tac airport, you just follow the signs to Interstate 5. Go south and then exit at Route 161 and go south. Turn left on Route 7 and then after a few miles you will come to Route 706 which will take you to the park. You should see plenty of signs directing you to Mount Rainier along the way.

You can contact the Washington State tourism office and Mount Rainier National Park for maps and other information that will help you plan your trip.

Have fun. Mount Rainier is fantastic.

John

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging Advice / Itinerary

Tuesday/Wednesday is a good time to go to the mountain. Summer weekends are very busy in the Park.

Here are a couple of websites to check for lodging, etc.

www.visitrainier.com

www.mtrainierguestservices.com

www.nps.gov/mora

Late July is a perfect time to visit Mt. Rainier. Enjoy!

Omaha
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging Advice / Itinerary

Thank you for your help! I've been waiting to plan because there was a possibility we could not go. We're making the trip for sure, so now I need to figure out what we are doing!

It's actually the night of 7/23. We get into Seattle about noon and need to pick my son up at the airport at 7:30 pm on 7/24.

The only room available at Paradise Inn is one with no bathroom, which I don't think is for me. National Park Inn does have a room. There also appears to be availability in Ashford. What do you recommend?

Also, we want to see wildflowers, are they all over or are their particular trails. We will be doing light hiking only.

Thank you so much!!

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging Advice / Itinerary

I would go with National Park Inn. There are some good places in Ashford, but the Natl Park Inn is inside the park at Longmire and just that much closer to Paradise. Staying at the Inn will also allow you to take an evening stroll on the Trail of the Shadows. It's an easy short, but very pleasant, trail just across the road from Longmire.

There are several trails around the Paradise area where you should be able to see wildflowers. Check with the rangers at the Visitor Center.

Chevy Chase...
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging Advice / Itinerary

I personally think Paradise is much nicer than the National Park Inn. I would urge you to reconsider.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,624 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging Advice / Itinerary

I also like Paradise far more than the Inn. I think it really depends on your comfort level. If all you need is a bathroom and a bed then stay at the Inn. If you want something nicer stay in Ashford. There are some very nice places to stay in Ashford and decent food. It does add more time to get into the Park. I prefer less people around me and cabin in the woods.

Omaha
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging Advice / Itinerary

Thanks everyone for your advice!! I was able to get a room at the Paradise Inn. We'll have Tuesday afternoon and most of Wednesday. Looking to see wildflowers, what else is a don't miss?

8. Re: Lodging Advice / Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 15, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Mount Rainier National...