We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day trip from Portland to Mt. Rainer

Portland, Oregon
14 posts
Save Topic
one day trip from Portland to Mt. Rainer

Is it possible to do the trip from Portland to Mt. Rainer National Park in one day?

If yes, what places would you suggest we visit with our 3 young kids? ( I'm interested in Grove of the Patriarch.) Thanks!

Edited: 3:21 am, July 07, 2012
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day trip from Portland to Mt. Rainer

Yes it is possible. As far as your kids: We don't know them, so I have a Google link for several sub links so you can do your own research and find out more about the park and decide what to visit. Good Luck. Chuck...

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBS_enUS441US443&q=mt+rainier+national+park

Edited: 7:15 pm, July 07, 2012
Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day trip from Portland to Mt. Rainer

Yes, it is doable, but you will be spending a lot of time in the car. Grove of the Patriarchs is a great hike for younger kids, but it is on the east side of the park near Ohanepacosh. Suggest that you take Hwy 12 thru Packwood to the east entrance of the park (abt 3+ hrs from Portland), then drive back across the park, stop at the Box Canyon of the Cowlitz for a short hike, then on to Paradise, and Longmire.

If you are planning this trip on a weekend day, it is likely to be very crowded at Paradise. (Round trip from Portland on this route, at least 7 hours (w/o stops)

Edited: 9:19 pm, July 07, 2012
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
157 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one day trip from Portland to Mt. Rainer

Mt. Rainier is a great place, but that's a LONG car trip and you won't have much time here. I suggest Mt. St. Helens if you haven't gone before.

Otherwise, I suggest Grove of Patriarchs and Trail of Shadows. Maybe if you have time you could take the Gondola at Crystal Mt. Technically not in Mt. Rainier, but still cool.

4. Re: one day trip from Portland to Mt. Rainer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 10, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Mount Rainier National...