We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-day Hike Advice……..

Saint Louis...
5 posts
Save Topic
3-day Hike Advice……..

Where is a good place for someone in fairly good shape that would like to do a 3-day hike? I plan on getting there towards the end of July maybe the 22-25 or something like that. I'm looking for something challenging, secluded, and does not require much or any climbing gear. It doesn't have to be at Rainier. I'm in St. Louis, so I'm just trying to venture out for a 3-day hike.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-day Hike Advice……..

Do you have camping gear, food and proper clothes lined up? 3 days in the wilderness is plenty of time to get in a lot of trouble.

Saint Louis...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-day Hike Advice……..

Yes, I have everything but climbing gear.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,951 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-day Hike Advice……..

Have you read the info about permits on the park's website? You are required to have one for overnight camping, and most permits are available in advance, starting in March. For a July weekend, you can bet the best hikes/camp spots are long gone. They do set aside a portion for walk ups, but then it's a take what you can get type situation, so our advice won't matter. At this time of year you may still have time to fax them a letter--I would basically ask what they have left for your ability range and desire, and see if you can get anything. Otherwise you'll have to show up in person and take what's left. Obviously if you go on a Monday or Tuesday you have a better chance of a great hike/spot. There is another link to a separate page on walk up permits.

nps.gov/mora/…reservations-and-permits.htm

This nest part, taken from the website, is especially pertinant to you. Good luck.

Park Rangers will begin processing reservation requests on April 1. All requests received between March 15 and April 1 will be processed in random order. Requests arriving April 1 and after will be processed in the order in which they were received.

During this initial two week period the park can receive 800-1,000 reservation requests. Each one is processed by hand with usually only 2-3 rangers assigned to this duty. It will be well into May before this initial batch of reservation requests are completed. This means you may not get a reply from the park for some weeks. As the season goes on and the initial pile of requests are whittled down, the park is able to process and reply to reservation requests in a few days. If your reservation request is successfully processed you will receive a confirmation letter that shows your itinerary. Please note that this confirmation letter is not your permit. You must come into a Ranger Station to get your permit. If we are not able to process your reservation request you will receive a letter stating why, and what your options are. If we cannot book a reservation for you, you will not be charged a reservation fee.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,174 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-day Hike Advice……..

OK, Dan, how about Olympic National Park? For a safe three day hike at the end of July, I would suggest the beaches, starting at Rialto Beach. You can look up the rules and suggestions for back country camping on the www.nps.gov website. If it were August, I would suggest the magnificent hike to the Blue Glacier starting at the Hoh RainForest visitor center, but I doubt that will be safely free of snow by the end of July, and that particular hike is really best done with a partner. Also, there are some gorgeous overnight hikes in the Quinault Rain Forest in the southern half of the park. I am hoping Glaciermeadow, who is the expert for that part of the ark, will write in.

Saint Louis...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-day Hike Advice……..

Thank you for all the advice! I'll check out what you have suggested. I may or may not have people with me, I've just decided to do it either way. It's too hard getting people to make commitments to anything at this age with work, marriage, kids, etc. I'm not really set on any particular place yet. Basically whatever has a cheap flight and has what I want.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,292 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-day Hike Advice……..

Christy is the expert for Rainier. If for any reason you choose Olympic, I can recommend several hikes. Rainier is stunning. Olympic may be easier to find campsites.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
157 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-day Hike Advice……..

While Mt. Rainier is my favorite place, I second Glacier's recommendation for ONP. I was up at Paradise on Thursday (the 28th) and there was still 100 inches of snow. It is expected that Snow will remain over 5,000 ft through most of July.

That seriously limits your overnight hiking options if you aren't outfitted for snow camping/hiking. If you're hiking alone I'd be really concerned about the safety of hiking alone in such conditions as well honestly.

It's possible a lot of snow will melt off in the next week or so, but you're coming a long way to make a gamble on that in my opinion.

By contrast the ONP has a lot of lovely trails and camping areas that have been, or will be, more melted out than Mt. Rainier by your planned trip.

8. Re: 3-day Hike Advice……..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, July 09, 2013