We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Ashmore/Mount Ranier in two weeks - help

pegleg1
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Ashmore/Mount Ranier in two weeks - help

Guess I should have done my homework better. I live in San Antonio, TX where it is already 100 degrees! I totally was not expecting a winter vacation. With all the snow in the mountains still, will we be able to do any short hikes in the National Park? Any suggests on what to do other than chill with a bottle of wine next to the fireplace????

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Ashmore/Mount Ranier in two weeks - help

certainly you will be able to hike, just not as far up as you would in august.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
552 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Ashmore/Mount Ranier in two weeks - help

You will be able to hike up pretty far just not what you would possibly like to do. The weather has been pretty rough this year, it is typically sunny this time of year but we are still battling the rainy season. Where are you staying? Might be able to offer you some other ideas of things to do.

pegleg1
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Ashmore/Mount Ranier in two weeks - help

We are staying at Jasmirs in Ashford. Also, would it be possible to do a day trip up to Seattle and catch the ferry to one of the islands? We could leave early in the morning.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
552 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Ashmore/Mount Ranier in two weeks - help

Would it be possible. Of course. It might be a long day but you could do it. I would suggest the ferry to friday harbor as the little town is cute and you wouldnt need a car. You could park your car in Seattle for the day and walk onto the ferry.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Ashmore/Mount Ranier in two weeks - help

clippervacations.com/ferry/…sanjuan_schedule

You could drive to and ferry from Anacortes. That would allow much more time to explore San Juan Island. Again, a painfully early departure from Ashford, it's a lot of driving to Anacortes from there. You could take your car and explore the island. Or, you could walk on and use bus/cab/rental vehicle service from there, but the bus service is limited.

Why don't you Google Map that route and figure if you want to do so. It's a lot of driving one way much less round trip.

Whidbey Island would be a far better choice unless you want to Clipper up to FH..

Google also: WA State Ferries

Edited: 12:33 pm, May 27, 2011
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Ashmore/Mount Ranier in two weeks - help

I would not reccommend going all the way to the San Juans from Ashford. That is an awfully long way for a day. It will not be winter conditions here, we always have snow at higher elevations this time of year. There is more snow than usuall up high. As said there are plenty of hikes around the Nisqually area. June is always a transition month here. Having lived in the deep South, I would find our June weather a relief compared to humid and 90 in Texas! Get a Rainier hike book in Ashford. The climbing store ther has a grea selection and can gie you good ideas.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Ashmore/Mount Ranier in two weeks - help

If you get an extra nice clear day during the time you are in Ashford, consider driving to Mt. St. Helens Johnston Ridge Observatory (abt 4 hrs drive from Ashford). The roads to the Observatory have been plowed and cleared so that you can get 'upclose and personal' with our resident volcano.

You might also enjoy a tour of Northwest Trek in Eatonville (just a few miles west of Ashford). www.nwtrek.org It's a free roaming wildlife park with all Pacific Northwest animals.

8. Re: Trip to Ashmore/Mount Ranier in two weeks - help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, May 29, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Mount Rainier National...