We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Rainer mid June

pegleg1
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Mount Rainer mid June

We are visting the park mid-June staying at Jasmer's cabins. We will be returning from a trip to Hawaii at sea level and I'm wondering about the elevation up at Paradise. We would like to take some short easy/moderate hikes. Could someone recommend something? We will have two and a half days to enjoy the park. Should we expect cold and rainy?

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Rainer mid June

I wouldn't worry too much about the elevation at Paradise. The mountain is 14,000 ft. but Paradise is located at timberline- around 6400 ft (I think). Anyhow, you will be driving up from sea level, rather than flying in, so it shouldn't be a problem. If you do feel a little woozy, take some Tylenol.

Even though you are arriving in mid-June, it is likely that there will still be snow around Paradise. Probably won't be really good hiking in that area, but there are many great hiking areas at lower elevations in the park. During the past week we have been getting snow in the mountains as low as 3000 ft. elevation.

Come prepared for any kind of weather, could be cool and rainy or might be reasonably nice and sunny. June is really unpredictable.

pegleg1
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Rainer mid June

Since we will be limited on time, could you suggest a couple of the best hikes at the lower elevation? As long as they are easy to moderate, probably could do about 3 miles roundtrip.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Rainer mid June

As said do not worry about the gradual elevation gain. There will be snow at Paradise then. It is still worth visiting. There are several hikes at lower elevations near Longmire which is just inside the Park after Ashford where you are staying. There is a short hike shortly after you enter the Park that I will get back to you on latter that has some beautiful old growth trees. June is a real tricky month. Can be clear and nice can be drizzly and socked in at the Mountain. I can guarantee you one thing the air will smell and feel great. Is this your only planned stop for hiking in the outdoors or do you have more time? Also please let us know what you think of the cabins. I have seen them, but have not stayed there.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Rainer mid June

On the west side of the park and near Longmire there are a couple of short trails. The Krautz Creek Mudflow trail is a short trail through a mudflow area that happened in the early 1950s (I think). It used to be fairly interesting, but it may be pretty well overgrown by now. I haven't been on it for several years.

The short Trail of the Shadows, just across the road from Longmire is a nice half mile walk.

Hopefully, enough of the snow will have melted so that you can do the Nisqually Vista trail at Paradise. It is about 1.5 mile loop just above the inn and visitor center.

On the east side of the park, near Ohanapecosh, there is the Grove of the Patriarchs (it's a great trail, even in the rain) and the 3 mile Silver Falls trail that begins in the Ohanapecosh campground.

A couple of other short walks that are worth a stop are Narada Falls (between Longmire and Paradise) and the Box Canyon of the Cowlitz River (between Paradise and Ohanapecosh.)

Check the park website - www.nps.gov/mora for list of the longer trails. Go to Things to Do and look for the Trails list.

pegleg1
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Rainer mid June

I know this is a stupid question; sorry. But does it rain all day? Pouring rain/drizzling rain? Also, we plan to spend a full day in the Columbia River Gorge area. Do you have any of the main highlights there?

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Rainer mid June

It generally does not rain all day, and it is generally more of a drizzle. June is kind of a transition month. It can be quite nice. It just is not summer until early or the middle of July. You of course want to see Multnohma Falls and I would walk to Puncove hbowl Falls. There is a great viewpoint above the Gorge. I have not been to it for about 35 years, so someone else can tell you more about it. Do not fret about the weather just bring raingear of any kind. Again it could e nice when your here. And cloudy here does not always mean rasin!

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mount Rainer mid June

Nope, just gray and showers, usually. Example: Monday - we were out salmon fishing in our boat on the Columbia River and it rained steadily all day long, not hard, just continually, and we didn't get any fish either. :-( Today, fishing is closed - it has showered, cleared, showered, cloudy, sprinkled, and now the sun is out. That's pretty normal for April. June is somewhat warmer and we often get some really nice, even hot (80+ degrees) days. Summers are really beautiful here - winters are just gloomy and gray.

The Columbia River Gorge can be done easily in a day trip from Portland. It's great even in the rain. From Portland head east on I-84, then take the Scenic Historic Gorge Hiway at Troutdale. This will take you up to Crown Point and the Vista House where you get some wonderful views of the river. Continue on east stopping at several waterfalls and hike the short trails to the base of the falls. At Multnomah Falls, it's an easy hike up to the bridge across the falls. Stop at Bonneville Dam and see the fish ladders and the sturgeon ponds. Continue on to Hood River and watch the wind surfers.

You can either return to Portland via I-84 (less than an hour drive) or continue on Hwy 35 to Parkdale and on up to Mt. Hood. Drive up to Timberline and look around the lodge, then head back to Portland on Hwy 26. Daylight is long in June so you should have no problem doing this entire loop and returning to Portland before dark.

8. Re: Mount Rainer mid June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, October 26, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Mount Rainier National...