We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paradise Inn for the non-climbers?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
320 posts
388 reviews
Save Topic
Paradise Inn for the non-climbers?

DH is climbing Mt. Rainier this summer. Looking for a place where I can stay with my father-in-law for some hiking and fishing while DH is up on the mountain and Paradise Inn looks ideally located. Any suggestions on how to choose between the lodge and the annex? Do we need to eat in the dining room or are there kitchens/grills to use? I haven't stayed inside a national park so this is pretty exciting!

Thanks!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,452 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paradise Inn for the non-climbers?

The rooms at Paradise are small and basic. I stayed once at the annex. I would probably opt for the main Lodge. You will have to eat at the Lodge. The food is not bad. They do have a separate small grill dinner. The great thing about Paradise is in 5 minutes you are surrounded by fields of waterfalls, streams, a waterfall and paved trails with fantastic views of the summit above. The main lodge room is just what you would expect in a National Park Lodge.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paradise Inn for the non-climbers?

As glaciermeadow has said, Paradise is a wonderful old National Park lodge. The rooms like most NP lodges are small and basic, but unless it's raining, you will be spending your time walking around the many trails, and seeing all the displays in the new Henry Jackson Visitor Center.

I have not been in the new Visitor Center, it was a week away from opening the last time I was up to Paradise. However, I'm sure it has a large cafeteria with a variety of food options. The food at Paradise Inn dining room is very good we enjoyed both breakfast and dinner the last time we were there. There is also a small coffee shop that serves pastries and some snacks.

The lobby of the Inn is beautiful, you will enjoy it. As for rooms in the lodge or the annex, I don't think it makes much difference as they are connected. If you want a room with the mountain view, I think you will have to go with a lodge room.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
451 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paradise Inn for the non-climbers?

Oh, I am jealous. We hit Paradise and the inn just right a couple of years ago, and the wildflowers, glaciers and waterfalls were out of this world gorgeous. Enjoy, as mentioned above the rooms are small and basic, but the rest of the lodge is very nice.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
320 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paradise Inn for the non-climbers?

Thanks for the advice! Just booked a room - all the ones with bathrooms were taken already. So excited :)

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paradise Inn for the non-climbers?

The new visitor center has dining, including all you can drink soft beverages for one price.

If you are going, roughly, the end of July/early August, as noted, the wildflowers are truly beautiful.

And while he is climbing, you can wander the other sections of the park, take your own hikes, etc.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paradise Inn for the non-climbers?

There will be ranger led activites every day and hikes too Also in the evening in the lodge a ranger program.

I would suggest a A hike to Panorama point, 2 miles 1800 gain or continue on to Pebble Creek which is where the trail ends and climbing begins.

Bring and wear good leather boots and have trek-poles, docens of great hikes but the one I mentioned is a classic..... start at 7:30 and make a 6 mile circle.....

7. Re: Paradise Inn for the non-climbers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, October 27, 2012