We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive-thru or spend the night: Off-season

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Drive-thru or spend the night: Off-season

Hi,

Dad and DD22 are doing a roadtrip around KY, mainly doing the Bourbon Trail and wanted to visit Mammoth Caves. We're visiting this December, coming from Nashville, TN and afterwards heading to Bardstown, KY.

Should we spend the night in the Mammoth Caves area, or do a tour or two and head straight to Bardstown?

If we spent the night I was thinking of staying in Bowling Green, but now I realise there are other towns a lot more closer, such as Horse Cave etc...

What tours do you recommend? I heard good things about the historic, and Niagara tour.

Thanks

Level Contributor
371 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive-thru or spend the night: Off-season

It is only about an hour from Mammoth Cave to Bardstown so I would lean toward lodging in Bardstown. Both areas are rural and small towns so you won't have tons of choices in lodging.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive-thru or spend the night: Off-season

I too would go on to Bardstown, but you really don't have to decide now. There are several tours you may want to take at Mammoth Cave. And it may be that you'll choose to do more than one and thus make it a longer day and not feel like driving. Whichever way you choose unless it is Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve, you're unlikely to find all of the rooms filled. In fact, even then you won't.

3. Re: Drive-thru or spend the night: Off-season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, April 13, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Mammoth Cave National...