We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Horse Cave, ky. touristy?

michigan
Level Contributor
420 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Is Horse Cave, ky. touristy?

Our family wants to come down to see the Cub Run Cave Easter weekend? We thought we would stay at the Hampton Inn in Horse Cave. We are looking for someplace close to Cub Run that is not terribly touristy and maybe some "off the beaten path" places to eat or hikes to take??

Any advice or suggestions would be wonderful!

Thanks.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
891 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Horse Cave, ky. touristy?

Thw whole area of Cave City/Horse Cave/Mammoth Cave is very touristy. Dinosaur World, Guntown Mountain things of that nature. Not to say that is much of a bad thing. I would suggest Mama Lou's Bque right of off 31E. Great bbque served on paper plates in the middle of KY. It can't get much better

michigan
Level Contributor
420 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Horse Cave, ky. touristy?

THANK YOU!

Any cool hikes or natural areas with gorges or waterfalls….maybe not too far away?!

Thanks.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
891 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Horse Cave, ky. touristy?

I assume you mean those that are not within Mammoth Cave National Park? You will find over 80 miles of trails there. Other than there I can't think of any specific. This link may help. http://www.traillink.com/state/ky-trails.aspx

michigan
Level Contributor
420 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Horse Cave, ky. touristy?

Is Mammoth Cave National Park beautiful? Is it crowded in the spring?

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
891 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Horse Cave, ky. touristy?

It's very beautiful. You can hike, bike, ride horses, canoe the river, and of course take one of the cave tours. The summer time is the busiest followed closely by Spring. With Easter weekend falling in the middle of half the country's Spring Breaks it might be even more crowded during this time. Mammoth Cave and the other cave attactions are really the only thing to do in that central part of KY so thats why it can be croweded and of course touristy.

michigan
Level Contributor
420 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Horse Cave, ky. touristy?

Thanks!!

michigan
Level Contributor
420 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Horse Cave, ky. touristy?

You mentioned Mama Lou's Bar-b-que (which looks great!)! Are there any other "off the beaten path" places to eat? Local? Organic? Hole-in-the-wall? Non-chain restaurants? Amish?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
891 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Horse Cave, ky. touristy?

I would also suggest Porky Pig Diner right outside Mammoth Cave Ntl. Park, Cream & Sugar Cafe in Cave City, and Nana and Papaw's in Cub Run. I would classify them all as having "local flavor."

michigan
Level Contributor
420 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Horse Cave, ky. touristy?

THANK YOU!! Very helpful information!

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Horse Cave, ky. touristy?

My fiance, mother and I stopped at Horse Cave Ky to try our hand at rappelling and zip lining. We had the best time! I was terrified to rappell and the walked me through, step by step. They were patient and very family oriented. I would suggest stopping there!

Get answers to your questions about Mammoth Cave National...