We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campsites mid September

Scarborough
Level Contributor
32 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Campsites mid September

Hi,

My friend and I will be visiting Lassen Volcanic National Park to do some hiking on September 15th, staying for 3 nights before moving on towards Yosemite. We'll have around two and a half days to explore the park, and hopefully also include a quick detour to Burney Falls. We'll be entering the park from the Eastern side, having stayed in Fallon the night before. To get the most out of our visit would it be best to choose a central campsite like Summit Lake and stay there for the 3 nights, or would be better off splitting our time between 2 or 3 different sites? Ideally we'd like to do the Cinder Cone hike, see the Bumpass Hell area and if possible rent a kayak for a while at Manzanita Lake. Suggestions greatly appreciated!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,872 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campsites mid September

I'd stay at Summit Lake campground the whole time rather than moving - Summit Lake is central enough and that way you won't have to spend time packing up and moving camp. The only outlier is the Cinder Cone area - there is no direct access to it by car from the main part of the park. But - since you are coming from Fallon, you could take Hwy 44 around to the north and visit the Cinder Cone area on the way into the park, entering the park at the Hwy 44/89 entrance near Manzanita Lake.

Then on your first full day in the park, you could do Bumpass Hell in the morning and then Manzanita Lake in the afternoon. Day 2 you could go over to Burney if you like, or see more of the park - if you are hikers, there is a nice hike from Summit Lake back in to see a bunch of other lakes. The loop is about 11 miles, but you don't have to do the whole loop if you don't want to. Then, since you are going to Yosemite afterward, you could leave the park to the south, stopping at Sulpher Works on your way out.

Edited: 2:30 pm, July 19, 2013
Nevada
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Campsites mid September

November Moon wrote:

< since you are coming from Fallon, you could take Hwy 44 around to the north and visit the Cinder Cone area on the way into the park, entering the park at the Hwy 44/89 entrance near Manzanita Lake. >

I agree with the above statement! It's brilliant! An amazing time saver!

However, what I would suggest -- after doing Cinder Cone -- is to visit Burney Falls (there might not be time to visit Burney Falls on the same day as Cinder Cone having started that day in Fallon, NV).

Spend your first night at Manzanita Lake Campground. The next morning do the kayak rental on Manzanita Lake EARLY (say 8:00 in the morning) and perhaps walk around Reflection Lake (right across the roadway) if you have the time and inclination. Then return to camp, break down camp and check out. (Watch your time)

Assuming you did not have the time to visit Burney Falls after Cinder Cone on your arrival day, go to Burney Falls after you check out of Manzanita Lake. The roads between Burney Falls and Manzanita Lake are fairly straight, quick and easy, however, the roads inside Lassen are twisty, curvy and time consuming. And there is a 45 mph speed limit inside Lassen!

After visiting Burney Falls, return to Lassen via the north entrance and travel to Summit Lakes where, if I were you, I would set up camp for night 2 and night 3,

NOTE: By spending night 1 at Manzanita Lake, you are focusing on the activities you want to do that are on the north side of the park, such as (1) Cinder Cone on your arrival day. The next morning you wake up at Manzanita Lake and could do (2) kayak rental on Manzanita Lake and (3) Burney Falls as I suggested.

Return to Lassen Park and spend night 2 and night 3 at Summit Lakes. This idea is so that you are not back-tracking the twisty time-consuming roads inside Lassen Park. Yes, Summit Lakes is quite centralized but this also means it is located pretty much in the middle of the twisty road that goes through Lassen. Headquartered out of Summit Lakes you could then do Bumpass Hell the following day, and any other hikes that might be of interest to you with any time that is remaining. There are some hikes around the Kings Creek area and over by Sulphur Works.

For more detailed information on hiking trails inside Lassen Park, here is a link

nps.gov/lavo/…hiking_lassen_park.htm

Have Fun! I absolutely LOVE Lassen Volcanic National Park. I practically know every curve in the road that goes through the park!

P.S. Remember, the 29 or 30 miles between the entrances (north and south) takes just over one hour drive time. A person cannot do it any quicker due to the many sharp hair-pin curves, and the 45 mph speed limit when you have some straight stretches of road.

Edited: 2:44 am, July 21, 2013
Scarborough
Level Contributor
32 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Campsites mid September

Thank you both for your very helpful replies, you've just made my planning a heck of a lot easier!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,872 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Campsites mid September

Yeah, I didnt think there would be enough time to visit Burney th e same day as Cinder Cone - I guess it does depend on how early you get on the road from Fallon though and how much time you spend at Cinder Cone.

5. Re: Campsites mid September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 23, 2014