We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

I've been reading all these boards and it seems like everything in Kenai revolves around cruises. I understand that completely. It is a fjord! But, I just don't do well on water. You might suggest a plane - well, I don't do really well on little planes.

It seems like there is tremendous scenic beauty in this area. Is there a way to enjoy it without a cruise?

Thank you.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,599 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

When specifically are you traveling (specific dates are important up here)?. Will you have a car during the conference (recommended)?

Here's a link ( http://goo.gl/lSnN2 ) to a good read about a bunch of stuff that can be done in the Girdwood/Portage area (about an hour's drive south of ANC).

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,167 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

To provide a differing POV, my first trip to Alaska was also for a work conference (3 days) in Anchorage. We went into Alaska the weekend before (3 days early) and stayed through the July 4th weekend (4 days later). We rented a car for either end of the trip (2 separate reservations) but did not for the time while in Anchorage for the conference. The price of the rental, plus to pay to park the car (around $20/night at the Hilton) just did not seem worth the expense.

Additionally, with the 2 small bookings on either end, I got a great rental deal (around $90 total for each) which the rental agent said was less than their daily rate when we picked up the car(s).

I would say if you are really going to see and do a lot outside of the downtown area, it may be worth it . . . but for us it wasn't.

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

Thanks for these additional suggestions.

I've already booked car for the entire stay. Although expensive, that was the easiest thing about this planning process. It has wheels and will go where we go. Now, I have to figure out where we will be going!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

Let's see - I am not good with day to day itineraries, though you will get plenty of help by others here on the forum that are good with that.

You mentioned Matanuska Glacier - Sheep Mtn lodge is a good place - there are also other cabins in the area - I often recommend this one - it is owned by some friends of mine and has stunning views: http://www.homesteadcabinsak.com/index.html

Here is a good link for other things to see/do etc in that area:

http://www.glacierview-alaska.com/

For Denali, we would recommend at least 2 days to see the Park well - good park info at www.nps.gov/dena.

Book the shuttle bus, go hiking, see the doggie demo, etc.

www.denalichamber.com has most of the lodging available in our local area. If you share more specifics of what you are looking for, I am happy to make recommendations.

And I wouldn't miss Seward either - boat tour of Kenai Fjords, Sealife center, etc.

Happy planning! :)

Edited: 11:56 am, May 09, 2013
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

Opps - sorry, forgot the whole start to this was the boat trip thru Kenai Fjords - still early here yet. :)

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,112 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

As Scott mentioned earlier, It would help folks give you more accurate information if you could share the dates of your trip......

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,599 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

Here's a link ( http://goo.gl/lSnN2 )to a great list of things to do/see in the Girdwood/Portage area (about 1 hour south of ANC).

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

We are looking at 3rd week in July of this year.

19. Re: Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, June 18, 2014