We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

I've been reading all these boards and it seems like everything in Kenai revolves around cruises. I understand that completely. It is a fjord! But, I just don't do well on water. You might suggest a plane - well, I don't do really well on little planes.

It seems like there is tremendous scenic beauty in this area. Is there a way to enjoy it without a cruise?

Thank you.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

All you can do is go to Exit Glacier, which will give you a very small glimpse of the area. You can also do the Harding Icefield Trail hike (6-8 hours round trip, 3,000 ft elevation gain) and experience the park in that way (trailhead is near the parking lot for Exit Glacier).

Other than that area, you really can't see/do much without being on the water.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

Much of Alaska is accessible only by water or air . . . I personally don't know of any other way to see that area. Here is the park site: www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/index.htm

Exit Glacier is the only area in the park accessible by land. :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

fti - you must type faster than me! :)

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,786 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

You can walk the Caines Head trail: …alaska.gov/parks/…caineshd.htm

And here's the website for the National Park: www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

Thanks for your quick responses! I'll take a look at the posted websites.

I love wild open spaces. Do you think the drive to/from Seward has significant beauty to make the trip enjoyable?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

Yes - what is the rest of your itinerary for Alaska?

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

Thanks, coalminer.

Our itinerary is not 100% put together yet. I've been on Tripadvisor for about 3 days, reading posts, forums, reviews, etc.

Here's the basics: We have 11 full days in Alaska. This is a partial business trip for my husband, so we will be in Anchorage for the first 5 full days, able to leave about 1 p.m. on the 6th day to head out and see more of the state. That leaves us with 5 full days, one half day, and the last day, with flight leaving at 6 p.m.

Of course, we want to see Denali. I'd also like to just see scenic beauty. For instance, I was just reading about the Matanuska Glacier Scenic Drive, wondering about driving it, staying at Sheep Mountain Lodge.

Any ideas, thoughts, etc would be appreciated! Alaska is a big state!

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

We were at Sheep Mtn Lodge last summer for two nights. Good food to go with it. It is about 10 miles east of Matanuska Glacier. BTW there is a fee to drive in as you traverse private property; the fee is per person, not per vehicle

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

My hubby continues to remind me of how much he enjoyed the walk up to Exit Glacier . . . and we didn't even go beyond up to the Harding Icefield.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a way to enjoy Kenai Fjords without cruise?

During the 5 days of the conference, I hope you'll have a rental car. Lots of light in the evenings to drive up to Glen Alps above Anchorage for a stroll to the overlook for views, drive down to Girdwood for views along the Turnagain & maybe dinner, drive just north of town to Palmer hay flats..... etc. So much within an hour's drive of town.

The drive along the Turnagain arm south of Anchorage is one of the most beautiful drives anywhere! Just the drive to the Portage turn-off & back gets you the scenic highway.

If the boat issue is seasickness, the glacier cruises out of Whittier are so protected so operators advertise no seasickness guaranteed. Just another thought.

Edited: 9:29 am, May 09, 2013