We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing in Kenai and also wildlife tours

LA
13 posts
Save Topic
fishing in Kenai and also wildlife tours

We are a family of 5 with 2 nights available in early June prior to a cruise. Would like to salmon fish and maybe halibut. Two of our group would be looking for other attractions. I would appreciate some input on fishing guides, lodging and then other activities for the ones not fishing.

Our family will arrive in Anchorage and travel to the Seward area and have to depart for the cruise in Whittier. Should we rent a car instead of riding the train in?

Thank you for any input.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fishing in Kenai and also wildlife tours

If you can let us know the date and time when you are arriving in Anchorage and then date and time you leave Whittier on your cruise, it'll help out with our advice. The train leaves from Anchorage at certain times, so when you get in plus the other things you want to do may decide for you whether the train is feasible or not.

Also, just double checking, you have three folks who want to fish and two who want to do something else- maybe a wildlife cruise. Do any of the five people have issues with seasickness? What are the ages? Fishing for salmon and halibut is a full day- 7 am - 5 or 6pm. Are the folks wanting to go up for that?

LA
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: fishing in Kenai and also wildlife tours

Our party of 5 is all adults, the boys are young adults in their 20s. We would arrive in Anchorage late on May 31st. Our cruise leaves out of Whittier on June 3. I think we would have to be there around 2 or 3. I see your point about fishing 2 days. I guess it will have to be 1 day of fishing. I'm sure we can find other activities when we arrive and then fish on June 2. I have not checked into fishing trips during the cruise. I have heard there are some.

Thank you for responding.

Las Vegas, Nevada...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: fishing in Kenai and also wildlife tours

Call Russell Fishing Company 702-530-4536 They own their own power, drift and halibut boats for Salmon, Steelhead and trout. They are very flexible and accommodating

Alaska
Level Contributor
1 post
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fishing in Kenai and also wildlife tours

I would reccomend you take the train or bus from Anchorage to Seward on the morning of June 1. If you arrive late on May 31 you can get a hotel room in Anchorage for the first night and relax after traveling. The Alaska Railroad train leaves about 6:45am every day arriving in Seward at 11:00am for about $80 one way; and the Park Connection Coach leaves at 7:00am arriving in Seward at 9:45am for $55 one way. If you stay at a downtown hotel you will be minutes away from either the train depot or the bus departure location. Then plan to spend the day exploring Seward. The town is small and very walkable. There is a free city shuttle bus that connects the little downtown core with the boat harbor area. The top things not to miss in Seward: the Alaska Sealife Center, the only marine marmmal rescue center and aquarium in Alaska. Exit Glacier - a stunning glacier just outside town with easy walking paths right up to the glacier. There is a $10 shuttle from town to the glacier visitor center. Kenai Fjords National Park cruise - you can take a 6 hr or 7.5 hr catamaran cruise to view glaciers & wildlife. Or you can opt for a 4 hour evening harbor cruise with a salmon & prime rib buffet with a company called Major Marine Tours. Then you would have a full day of fishing open on June 2. There are many reputable fishing operators in Seward. Check out the TA forums for more info and/or the Seward Chamber of Commerce website. Seward also has other great things to do like kayaking, dog sled tours, glacier hiking, there are a lot of options.

Then you can hire a taxi to drive you to Whittier on the morning of June 3. The drive is about 2 hours, and I have heard great things on the posts about people hiring cars to take them from Seward to Whittier. Unfortunately there is no direct transportation from Seward to Whittier - you would have to go back to Anchorage then get a ride to Whittier. You could rent a car to drive the entire time - I believe Avis is the only company that does business out of Whittier. But you would need to check out the rates and drop off fee to rent a car in Anchorage, keep it three days then drop off in Whittier. It depends on your budget. I heard it is about $250 for the trip Seward to Whittier - if that is true it is a pretty good deal for 4 people as it will only cost about $63pp plus tip. If you decide to do this - I would highly recommend you leave early in the morning and plan a stop at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. This is a great place to see bears, musk ox, moose, caribou, wolve and lots of other animals in large, natural style enclosures. For many people this is the one time they get good, close up views of AK's big animals. You can spend as much time here as you like, but plan for at least an hour. And on the road to Whittier is a terrific visitor center called Begich Boggs Visitor Center at Portage Glacier. This cener has great displays about the area, glaciers and a wonderful bookstore/gift shop.

To get to Whittier you do have to pass through the longest tunnel in North America - about 2.5 miles long. The tunnel is only open once an hour going into Whittier. But you should have no trouble here as I think the ship leaves at 10:30pm. And in the little town of Whitter there are a stores along the waterfront, with coffee/sandwich shops, a Chinese restaurant and a nice restaurant in the Inn at Whittier (a hotel right by the cruise ship dock).

Of course all of this depends on your budget and interests. But I hope this helps!

LA
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: fishing in Kenai and also wildlife tours

Thank you for all the great information. What a wonderful summary of all the things we can do. I am amazed about the bridge, that's certainly good to know. I also have found some contacts for fishing.

Thanks to all for taking the time to help with our vacation.

6. Re: fishing in Kenai and also wildlife tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 26, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Kenai Fjords National...