We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isle Royale Moose

Bronx,NY
3 posts
Save Topic
Isle Royale Moose

We plan on a late August trip to see Isle Royale.

Any suggestions for known wild life sightings? Also, any opinions on which parts of the island are best to hike? We plan on camping but are only two people and cannot make reservations in advance. Is this a problem? Thanks for your info!

Detroit
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Isle Royale Moose

I was there in late august in 2002 or 2003 and we saw several moose on the western end of the island on the Feldtman Lake loop. However, that was when there were approximately 1100 moose on the island. Sadly, there are now only about 385 as of winter 2007-8.

I don't know how you are getting to the island, or from where, but I would recommend getting reservations for the ferry you choose. I looked into going last summer and of the two ferries docked in Grand Portage, MN only one was running to windigo because of the low water levels. The other boat was too big to get into the bay.

Once you make it to the island, the campsites are pretty much FCFS but we didn't have much trouble finding good campsites. Although if you're going to be on the eastern end of the island, its a bit more crowded.

conn
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isle Royale Moose

getting a campsite is really not much of a promblen just bring a tent with good bug netting bugs are very bad and the shelters fill first filter and treat all water on the island

3. Re: Isle Royale Moose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, September 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Isle Royale National...