We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family camping

Michigan
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Family camping

I understand that this is a rather wild territory and advanced trail hiking. My question is are there spots that are acceptable to take a family?

Michigan
Level Contributor
237 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family camping

Yes. You can stay at the campground at Rock Harbor where the boat comes in although IIR you can only camp there two days. There are also rooms to rent there so you could do day hikes. However you need to BE PREPARED. This can be an extreme enviornment. Last time we were there there was a young family. No sleeping bags, no matches, totally counting on shelters and warm weather. The first day the tempature plumited and it poured. I mean cats and dogs, mules and cows. Some of the boardwalk trails were under 3" of water. Get a copy of the trails map and the guide book from the NPS. Talk to the rangers about current conditions but most importantly be honest with yourself about your ability and that of your family to navigate this enviornment. For the most part it's just rock and if you can hike 10 miles a day you can enjoy the island. Just don't count on shelters at peak times.

stillwater...
Level Contributor
16 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family camping

You'll find alot of info on wikitravel.com. Good luck!

3. Re: Family camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, September 22, 2009