We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

View Lava from the Sea????

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
View Lava from the Sea????

I have heard there are some charters that take you out for an ocean view of the lava. Does anyone know anything about this? I've also heard that you can now hike closer to the lava flows. We'll be going in March, so I know this changes day-to-day--but we would appreciate any tips anyone may have.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: View Lava from the Sea????

Sorry Tiger, you heard it wrong. The ocean is very rough and choppy in that area, not to mention the ocean temperature! :) No charters going in there at all. There is no change in the hiking either.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: View Lava from the Sea????

Thanks for debunking the rumor!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: View Lava from the Sea????

TT is correct the hike is now longer to the closed area as the park moved the end of the road back so it is now a 4 mile hike to the view area one way. I think they did this to cut down on the number of visitors who thought they could do it. the actual lava area is closed to entry you can get to within about 1/4 mile ( after your 4 mile hike ( 8 rt... and not on a trail but cross country that will feel like 15)

Strange, a day ago I talked to a guy who was trying to promote his fibreglass outboard to take folks to the lava.... My take was the concept is pretty " Half Baked" but in truth I think his trips could very easily become " fully baked"

Put together an extremly rough ocean gale winds.... toxic gas, near boiling sea temps exploding lava fragments and you have a disaster in the making..... there is a reason no thinking person has proposed this trip

Kauai & Mainland
Level Contributor
954 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: View Lava from the Sea????

Wait, when did they move the road back again? When we were there earlier this year they had the rangers station and portable rest areas set up about a half mile from the 2003 flows that covered the road. So you hiked about a half mile on the road, and then started on the lava. The first beacon is probably about a half mile or more out. Then there are the other three, but I could swear it was only 3 miles to the existing flows that still are active on that large bench.

In fact, last I'd heard, they'd actually allowed folks to get even closer to the bench by moving the white cones closer to the bench. Originally they'd blocked off the entire area a few thousand feet back.

This image is from last month... you can see the white barrier's pretty clearly from the air.

…usgs.gov/kilauea/…DSCN0026_L.jpg

Just curious if they've recently made any additional changes. I hadn't heard of any and I've staid in contact with someone at the park pretty regularly.

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: View Lava from the Sea????

They had just made some changes in July when we were there but air inversions had gases flowing down over guard house so some rangers were wearing cloth masks and coughing so maybe moved again. Hikers Bring flashlights for all, extra bottles of water, good shoes and be aware you are going over terrain where a hole may pop up in front of you. paths are marked by small light reflectors. If you are squimish about cockroaches or mice then wear long pants and socks. We saw older people faint from exertion, gases or what ever. Young kids sprain ankles etc all from not being prepared. Those rangers down there sure have their work cut out for them and they still remain super nice.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
387 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: View Lava from the Sea????

For viewing lava flow from a boat check out

www.lavaocean.com

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: View Lava from the Sea????

Apparently, it is a new company, according to DCCA it was registered to do business on October 16, 2006. I seriously wonder if they have any kind of insurance so if you decide to risk your life with Lava Ocean Adventures make sure you do have insurance.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: View Lava from the Sea????

That looks like a pretty small boat in pretty rough seas getting pretty close to really hot lava!! Don't think he'll be in business long......

Kauai & Mainland
Level Contributor
954 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: View Lava from the Sea????

You have to love Photoshop.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: View Lava from the Sea????

I'm convicend--NOT a good idea. Thanks to all who replied!