We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Babymoon! Is possible for my (pregant) wife to see lava?

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Babymoon! Is possible for my (pregant) wife to see lava?

My wife & I are visiting Maui & the Big Island before our baby arrives in December. She'll be about 26 weeks when we're on the Big Island (in late Aug/early Sept) & we both are really excited about seeing lava flows!

I've heard from some that actually seeing the lava involves a really long hike, which worries me. She can do short walks, but obviously is in no condition for a long hike. At the same time, I've learned the lava flows have changed a fair bit, so what was true even 5 years ago might not be true today.

Has any been recently enough to advise me of the current situation? Is it possible for a pregnant women to see flowing lava?

Or should I pull the plug on trying to see it by car & do a helicopter tour?

(I'm open to anything -- I just don't want to disappoint her.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,578 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Babymoon! Is possible for my (pregant) wife to see lava?

If you go to the main Island of Hawai`i forum you'll find lots of info under the Top Questions.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,521 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Babymoon! Is possible for my (pregant) wife to see lava?

IMO, it would ill advised to expose one "with child" to the potentially toxic emissions from the Volcano.

Lots to see and do on the Big Island without jeopardizing one's health and that of an unborn child.It becomes way more than just a concern as to whether she would have the stamina to hike the 5hrs to see a lava flow.

Edited: 12:12 am, August 04, 2013
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Babymoon! Is possible for my (pregant) wife to see lava?

The hike is just a bad idea... I'd be a bit surprised if the tour companies would even take a woman that is 26 weeks pregnant on the hike.

This is how volcano discoveries web site describes the hike as ..."As of June 2013, lava flows ARE ACCESSIBLE via a 6mi/11km hike over uneven terrain (~4hr + viewing time),but as this could change at a moment's notice due to the eruption, we always plan a back-up - See more at: …volcanodiscovery.com/hawaii/active-lava-hik…

They also rate the hike as moderate to challenging, so no, I doubt your wife would have very much fun on this hike.

The Volcanoes National Park web site has some info. on safety and potential hazards that you should read ...I can't pull it up on my phone right now, but basically it says that the gases from the volcano are potentially toxic and young children and pregnant women are particularly susceptible. It also gives an air quality monitoring link.

So, read through the info. and decide for yourself, but if I were pregnant, I personally would not take the risk, even if the risk is slight, of potentially exposing my child to the fumes.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Babymoon! Is possible for my (pregant) wife to see lava?

The hike over "uneven terrain" is, I expect, over lava. You can verify this, but if that is the case, there is no way I would be hiking out pregnant. I have seen perfectly fit, athletic, unpregnant folks take a tumble on it. Plus it is far away and hot. And the lava definitely changes...within days, even, not years.

I would go for the helicopter if they will let you.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Babymoon! Is possible for my (pregant) wife to see lava?

Forget about it! Seriously.

The helicopters fly through gas too. Just go to Maui and don't push the envelope. Welcome to parenthood!

She can still see lava flows ... They do make versions without rum.

Edited: 3:56 pm, August 04, 2013
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Babymoon! Is possible for my (pregant) wife to see lava?

If you are worried about her being disappointed, ask her which would disappoint her more, not seeing a lava flow or giving birth to a baby that you guys damaged for life so that you could see lava flows.

Priorities need to be out in order ... I'm not going to sugar coat it. This is a terrible idea. And please do not ask next if she could do a lava boat tour.

7. Re: Babymoon! Is possible for my (pregant) wife to see lava?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 06, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Hawaii Volcanoes...