We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking at Volcanoes National Park

Flushing, New York...
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Parking at Volcanoes National Park

Hey guys, I will be taking a trip to Hawaii in September and plan to visit the Volcanoes National Park. I see that there are so many hiking trails along the Crater Rim Dive. Would it be safe to leave my rental car at the beginning of the trail and do some hiking? There are also many lookout and places that require a small hike in other places in Hawaii (e.g. the trail to the lighthouse in Oahu). Would it be save to leave the car at the beginning of those trail since I don't seem to see much information about parking nearby. Since I intend to travel by rental car, parking is quite a concern for me. Even if I don't leave valuable stuff in the car, I still don't want it to be broken it to and have to pay for the damage afterward. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,805 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking at Volcanoes National Park

I have never heard of any car breakins in VNP. As it's a national park, it has security patrols and rangers that regularly monitor it. It also costs money to enter the Park and is remotely located, so that serves to discourage any kind of thieves. It's probably one of the safest spots on the island.

Really the only places you need to worry about car break ins are public parking lots in towns (Kailua Kona in particular) and at unsecured beaches (or their highway pullouts), popular trailheads (not in VNP), or at popular unsecured tourist attractions like Rainbow Falls, Punalu'u, Onomea Bay trail.

2. Re: Parking at Volcanoes National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, July 21, 2013
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,805 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking at Volcanoes National Park

"emorata", Please don't spam by posting that link repeatedly to many topics.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,147 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking at Volcanoes National Park

Aloha,

That link didn't work when I tried it. Did it for you, Shea? Was it advertisement?

Welcome to TA, Joy. Enjoy VNP.

Aloha

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,805 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking at Volcanoes National Park

It worked for me. Yes, it's a promotion for his commercial website. All his other posts for removed, this one should too.

Edited: 5:25 pm, July 21, 2013
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,781 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking at Volcanoes National Park

One of the links didnʻt work, probably this one, but the links in the other posts worked.

And yes, it led to a commercial use.

Even if a blog is not a commercial site per se, if it directs people to a commercial site it is doing the same job.

There have been breakins at VNP, in fact there was a rash of them, but they were at night, and they did catch the person. At VNP, the main concern would be dishonest tourists taking advantage of an easy lift. There are no doubt a few ... so watch valuable stuff.

Honestly I would not feel the need for the immaculate car routine at VNP. Just lock the car, and never leave actual valuables in sight, and you should be fine.

Flushing, New York...
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking at Volcanoes National Park

Thank you for the great advises!

Edited: 7:38 am, July 23, 2013
8. Re: Parking at Volcanoes National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, July 25, 2014