We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inter-island flights from Maui (Kahului Airport) to Hilo

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
299 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Inter-island flights from Maui (Kahului Airport) to Hilo

I've been checking on inter-island flights from Kahului Airport in Maui to Hio airport for a day trip to explore the Hawaii Volcanoe Park.

I've seen the options for departing Maui to Hilo, The problem I'm seeing is return flights from Hilo back to Kahului Airport in Maui. We want to stay as late as we can at the Volcanoe Park.

I've even checked on flying back to Maui from Kona Airpot. The only return flights are like at noon and 2pm ish.

Is there no such thing as a return flight from Hilo to Maui later in the day? They all seem to be flying back to Honolulu.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,298 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inter-island flights from Maui (Kahului Airport) to Hilo

Aloha,

You're not seeing things, lol. You will have to take a flight to Oahu and then on to Maui for anything later.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inter-island flights from Maui (Kahului Airport) to Hilo

Thank you!

It always makes me feel better knowing I'm not totally crazy or seeing things!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inter-island flights from Maui (Kahului Airport) to Hilo

No, you don't want Kona. FAR away ... it won't work.

I pulled up Hawaiian Airlines - and yes, their last flight is around 7:00 pm - so you would need to be back to the airport around 5:30 pm. Honolulu is the hub for Hawaiian Airlines (your only choice, really), so many of the interisland flights stop there. It's a bit of a hassle ... but the flights are really short.

Most people, the vast majority, who day trip to VNP come from Honolulu. Are you spending any time on Oahu? How about spending the night in the VNP area?

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inter-island flights from Maui (Kahului Airport) to Hilo

I was afraid of that.

We're staying 4 night in Oahu....looks like we'll need to change our plans around and fly out of Honolulu.

Thank you!

Kona
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inter-island flights from Maui (Kahului Airport) to Hilo

Yes, there used to be many more direct flights between Maui and Hawaii Island (after all, they are so close!!) but after Aloha Airlines shut down, Hawaiian cut way down on the number of flights that service those routes. Now you pretty much have to go through Honolulu, and they charge you more for the privilege!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inter-island flights from Maui (Kahului Airport) to Hilo

I hear that Hawaiian Airlines is expanding their services on Maui to serve as a second hub ... but when and how that is being done ... I don't know.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,032 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inter-island flights from Maui (Kahului Airport) to Hilo

BLBL, believe it or not, they already expanded about 11 months ago, March 2012. There used to be ONE nonstop from each airport.

I doubt there is any schedule that will allow good night time viewing and going back that same night. You need an overnight.

You should also know that some nights are so clouded in you can see nothing, so think hard before you spend hundreds of dollars to potentially see fog.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inter-island flights from Maui (Kahului Airport) to Hilo

KK - I thought that some of the expansion would be coming when the new runways are finished at OGG??

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,032 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inter-island flights from Maui (Kahului Airport) to Hilo

oh, quite possibly, BLBL. I was only thinking of the route expansion they announced when they first made the hub announcement a year ago. If they add more direct routes, I will certainly be cheering.

Re the park visit, even a 10 PM flight will not be ideal. Allow an hour after sunset for the glow to gain strength, 30 minutes to view, 60 minutes to Hilo (45 best time plus 15 min car return), 90 min check-in or 60 min if you are already checked in with boarding pass printed, carry on only -- but this is pushing it.

I personally wouldn't be too comfortable with this schedule, as you are SOL if there's an accident on Hwy 11 or 130. The hotels on Banyan Row would be close by if you missed the flight, but that wouldn't be ideal.

This is assuming you want to stay late to see the summit crater glow, which really is impressive on a clear night. I can't think of any other reason not to leave well before sunset.

Also be aware that the viewing is very crowded at sunset and that first hour, at least I've seen it quite the zoo for this island. Best viewing is more like 10-midnight when the day trippers are all gone. The railing of the top overlook is only enough for a dozen or so people unless they want to get cozy.

Best of luck making your plans.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inter-island flights from Maui (Kahului Airport) to Hilo

Thank all of you so much for the info.

Hubby and I discussed last night and we've decided to do an overnight stay in the Hilo area.

Thanks again!

This forum really helps alot in trip planning, especially when you don't know a thing about the area you're going to!