We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning trip to Big Islands in July

ru5
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
89 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Planning trip to Big Islands in July

We are a couple in our early 30's and plan to visit the Big Islands in July beginning. We enjoy hiking and running around. Is 4 nights and 4 full days sufficient for Big Islands?

Can we combine any near by island (within driving range) in this trip?

Also, would Kailua-Kona, HI (KOA-Kona Intl.) be the nearest airport near Big Islands?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,164 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning trip to Big Islands in July

A few things. The Big Island is just one island. You cannot drive between any islands in Hawaii. There are two major airports, Kona (KOA) on the west side of the island, and Hilo (ITO) on the east side. The east side is known for Volcanoes National Park, lushness, waterfalls, more rain, cute b&bs, more Old Hawaii. Few beaches or water sports options.

The west side has the beaches, sun, snorkelling, diving, coffee country, upscale resorts and condos, heiaus and several historical parks.

Because of the size of the island and the driving distances involved, it is generally recommended to spend a MINIMUM of seven nights, split approximately 5/2 between the west and east sides depending on interests, flying into Hilo and out of Kona or vice versa.

If you have much less time, it's generally a better idea to visit one of the smaller, easier to navigate islands like Kauai and Maui. If you are visiting the BI as part of a longer stay in the Hawaiian islands, due to the aforementioned factors, it generally requires the largest allocation of your total visit.

For more detailed advice, let us know when you're coming, from where, total time in Hawaii and other islands you want to visit, and nightly accommodation budget and specific interests.

Edited: 1:15 am, May 04, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning trip to Big Islands in July

4 nights is only sufficient on the Big Island to explore one region and pefect amount for Hilo accomodation w/ day trips west to Volcano, south to Puna, or north to Waipio Valley overlook. If you want quality beach time look at Waikoloa area for best beach access such as Hapuna Beach or Waialea Bay.

If you want to explore the whole island think about 10 nights w/ maybe a mix of 5 nights Waikoloa, 2 nights Volcano or Hilo, and 3 nights Kona. Alternaltely if limited to 7 nights or so think about a one way car rental from Kona to Hilo wil help you consolidate a visit but less beach time.

I agree w/ SheaG. If limited on total time look at one of the smaller islands. Island hopping to Oahu is easy but limited direct flights to Maui and no direct flights to Kauaik, so keep that in mind if island hopping and the transit will burn up the better part of a beach day..

Here's a good on line guide to help you compare islands.

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/

July will be pretty hot so think about air conditioning or maybe lodging at Volcano or Waimea will be cooler sleeping weather.

ru5
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
89 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning trip to Big Islands in July

Thanks a lot, SheaG and TheodoreJay. These are some good suggestions and feedback from you both.

I needed a starting point for my research on the Islands and seems I got it right. Thanks to both of you. I will get back on the forum after some research. I might plan for the smaller islands then since I cannot get more than 4-5 days off from work.

Thanks a lot again!

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning trip to Big Islands in July

If you want to see an entire Island in a few days maybe Kauai or Oahu.

You can still see 4 days worth of the Big Island in 4 days.

Like an active Volcano, rain-forests and waterfalls.

When people go to Jamaica or France they don't usually

see all of Jamaica.or France either.

Edited: 4:29 pm, May 04, 2012
ru5
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
89 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning trip to Big Islands in July

Thanks Joejax. We are more of nature-lover people than beach lovers. So, volcanoes, rain-forests and waterfalls attract me more:)

Thank you for your suggestion! I will look into Kauai and Oahu as well.

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning trip to Big Islands in July

Hi. Will be on big island for four nights, not on volcano side. What is best way to get there to see the park? How long a car ride is it. Or are there tours from the Kona side? Thanks so much.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,164 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning trip to Big Islands in July

Where are you staying on the west side? It's 2-3 hours to VNP depending on your base and your route. There are a few day tours that take people from the Kona area and the Kohala resorts.

Really some of the best things about the park happen at night, like the lava glow and any surface lava flow viewing, so IMO it's a good idea to book a night in Volcano, and fly into Kona and out of Hilo.

Alternatively, with only four nights on the Big Island, which really is a shame, rather than trying to do a day trip to VNP from the west side, consider a helicopter tour which will enable you to see a lot of the island as well as any surface lava activity.

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning trip to Big Islands in July

thanks so much...We are staying at the Fairmont Orchid because we wanted to be on the beach side and then are flying to Maui... Our first 2 stops are Kauai and Honolulu... We are doing a lot in2 weeks and wanted to mix site seeing and beach resort area... We are in our 60's and want to see it all!!!!!

Wil consider the helicopter, my husband is game,,not so sure about me,,again thanks

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,164 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning trip to Big Islands in July

Well, you won't come close to seeing it all, and I personally wouldn't do that many islands in two weeks as I think you end up giving short shrift to all of them. But with four nights at the Fairmont, which is a lovely hotel, I would strongly consider just doing a helicopter tour, which departs just a few minutes from your

hotel, rather than trying to drive to VNP, as the Fairmont is on the opposite end of the island, and a three hour drive one way. Then you can spend your limited time exploring the Kona-Kohala Coast, beaches, great snorkeling, historical parks and heiaus, upcountry towns, and definitely do a day trip to the Hamakua Coast for the waterfalls and valley overlooks.

Alternatively, steal another night or two from the other islands, and after your four night Fairmont stay, drive to Volcano and spend the night and then fly out of Hilo to Maui.

Edited: 6:16 pm, June 02, 2012
10. Re: Planning trip to Big Islands in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:42 am, June 22, 2013