We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mileage...........

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Mileage...........

So if I was to drive myself to the VNP, how long of a drive is it from Kona? And where is the Thurston Lava Tube in relation to VNP?

I'm only on the island for 4 days and only want to spend 1 day doing the volcano, Place of Refuge and the lava tube.

I'll take miles and driving time if someone has it.

Thank you ahead of time!!!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mileage...........

It's a good two hours from Kona to VNP. (100 miles) The Thurston Lava Tube is inside the park. If you take the South Road the Place of Refuge is on your way.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
164 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mileage...........

Call it 100 miles & three hours, give or take a bit. The road, while beautiful and pleasant, is only 2 lanes & basically rural -- no freeway speeds.

Thurston Lave Tube is IN the Park, near the east side of Crater Rim Drive.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
164 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mileage...........

Oops - sorry for the redundancy. Typicallytropical posted while I was typing....but now you have the testimony of two witnesses...

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mileage...........

you guys really ROCK! Thank you!

Chattanooga
Level Contributor
349 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mileage...........

The place of refuge has the best snorkeling on the island so you might want to allow time for that there. You might also want to pack a lunch because your food choices amount to shave ice at the black sand beach(the turtles there are a must see) or sandwiches from a gas station that make airplane food look gourmet.

6. Re: Mileage...........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, May 03, 2006