We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoes on the Iki Trail and VNP

Hackensack, New...
Level Contributor
338 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Shoes on the Iki Trail and VNP

We are planning to spend one day (Aug 7) visiting VNP and wanted to know what type of clothing is needed. How cold,/hot is it? What types of shoes would we need to walk around and do the Iki Trail?

Do we need hiking boots or would sneakers be fine? Would Keen (waterproof Newport) sandals be OK ? keenfootwear.com/us/…black

Thanks

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoes on the Iki Trail and VNP

Use the Keen sandals for smaller walks like the Sulphur banks or Petroglyph trail. Keen sandals will be fine in dry weather but will let the ocasional small rock get under foot. However they will wear blisters on your feet if wet (been there). Bring at least really good water resistant sneakers w/ good ankle support for the steeper parts. The trail is well maintained and only moderately difficult. Allow for at least 2 hour roundttip. If you warm up at Thurston Lava tube walk you can keep the same parking spot for Kilauea Iki. Bring rain gear, water, snacks, camera. Be prepared for hot weather as well... so you'll want to have layered clothing in the caldera. It can be everywhere from super warm 85 degrees plus to rainy and fogging 60 degrees or lower throughout the park during the day. An umberella can double as sun shade. You'll def. want to pack one for Hawaii anyways. So if sunny start out w/ shorts and long sleeve shirt w/ hat (w/ rain slicker and pants at the ready). If you are coming to VNP from long distance like Waikoloa area then check weather before heading out cause if fogged over and heavy rain you'll be driving a long way for nothing.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoes on the Iki Trail and VNP

Some people will disagree, but I've been to the park several times and wore nothing but our Teva hiking sandals each and every time with no issues whatsoever.

Some people will likely feel more comfortable in boots with better lateral support. I prefer the overall comfort of the sandals. Temperatures at the park vary. In the winter time, the summit area can be in the upper 50's low 60's., which can be cool if it's cloudy. If the sun's out, it's much warmer.

And down at sea level, it'll be in the 80's or 90's in August.

Hackensack, New...
Level Contributor
338 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoes on the Iki Trail and VNP

Thank you for the thoughts and recommendations!

We are flying in and staying 2 nights in the area to have one full day at VNP... This is happening good weahter or not BUT, we have already put in the order for wonderful weather so we are all set! Ha ha

BurghGirl71
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shoes on the Iki Trail and VNP

I would recommend hiking shoes. My husband wore sneakers but he has very sure footing and excellent balance. The trail is sometimes quite muddy with puddles, steep, extremely hard (rock hard), covered in small rocks in places and generally has many different conditions. We saw people struggling in sandals. Keens may be OK if you font have foot, knee or ankle issues, but I would never wear anything but hiking shoes on that trail. It was misty and raining, which was a bonus, as it kept us cool unlike how brutal it would be in sun on black lava.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoes on the Iki Trail and VNP

I agree with BurghGirl. We hiked the Kilauea Iki Trail this past March, as well as the hike to Pu'u Huluhulu. (Great hikes, by the way!)

I was glad that I wore light weight hiking shoes. Two reasons: first, the more rigid soles and ankle support were welcome on uneven surfaces and loose rock. Second, while Tevas or other hiking sandals would have been comfortable, they expose your skin to small sharp pieces of loose rock.

Having said that, I saw plenty of people looking very agile and comfortable in hiking sandals. I tend to be a bit of a wimp about my feet - if you are tougher than me, you might be fine in Tevas. :-)

Also, as others have already stated, bring light layers of clothing - during our 2 days there, the weather varied from warm and sunny to cool and misty.

Enjoy!

Hackensack, New...
Level Contributor
338 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shoes on the Iki Trail and VNP

Thank you all for your helpful information... We are rying to pack as light as possible for our 2 week stay spread among Oahu-Maui-VNP as we typically avoid checking in luggage (I know,I know, too much to do in too little time.)

I was trying to not take sneakers AND hiking boots... I would wear one on the plane but still too much bulk if bringing along both... My current sneakers are jogging/walking ones and far from waterproof but then again, I would not mind leaving them behind after VNP if they suffer much! I could use a new pair anyway... what I do wonder if they will be good enough for the Iki trail

Newport News...
Level Contributor
81 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shoes on the Iki Trail and VNP

I brought worn hiking shoes that doubled as walking shoes for the rest of the trip, and they served me well on Kilauea Iki last summer. I'm not sure I would have been comfortable in sandals when I got to the rocky areas--too easy to slip. However, if you're willing to be very careful in those spots you might be okay. Just be cautious! There are a few rock areas where you could slip if not careful (I actually crouched down to the ground and carefully stepped down).

I personally prefer to have hiking shoes with me whenever I hike. Case in point: back in April my two young cousins went hiking with me. We came to a small stream. Their regular light-weight shoes were soaked through and through, and they were miserable. My hiking shoes were able to block out the water and helped me have sure-footing to stay out of it. But that's me... They weren't too expensive (bought them at Walmart).

HVNP can easily get to the 60s due to the higher altitude. I don't know if you are comfortable wearing sandals in that temperature.

Hey, looks like we'll be in Hawaii around the same timeframe! Have a great time on your trip!

8. Re: Shoes on the Iki Trail and VNP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 05, 2012