We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for another couple to tour VNP (Volcano Discovery)

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for another couple to tour VNP (Volcano Discovery)

I booked a private tour with Volcano Discovery on June 14, 2011. The price is significantly less if we have another couple (or more) to go with us. The tour is scheduled for 12 hours and we're going to see a ton of VNP. The guide leading the tour is a geologist. He basically said that it's up to us for what we want to see, but here is an excerpt from their site about this tour.

My only request is that you are moderately in shape and that you can be at VNP early on the 14th . We will be hiking some. My wife and I are in our 30's if that makes a difference. We're both teachers and are super excited about this opportunity to tour with a geologist.

Send me a personal message or respond here if interested. If we get 4 the cost goes down to $250 per person.

Mods: If this request need to go somewhere else please let me know.

Edited: 6:05 pm, March 15, 2011
New York City
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for another couple to tour VNP (Volcano Discovery)

My husband and I went out with Arthur this past November with Volcano Discovery. It was WELL worth it. Anyone that wants an amazing tour should join up. We Loved it and was def a MAJOR hi-lite of our trip!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for another couple to tour VNP (Volcano Discovery)

We did a 12 hour tour with Phillip a couple of weeks ago. This was the best tour that we've EVER done. I'm sure Phillip and Arthur are both great guides so no matter which one you get you WILL get an education, you WILL get an absolute wonderful experience, and you WILL get your money's worth. You can see my review below.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

3. Re: Looking for another couple to tour VNP (Volcano Discovery)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:46 am, April 05, 2011
Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for another couple to tour VNP (Volcano Discovery)

Both Philip and Arthur are well known and well respected on this island, you can't go wrong with either of them. They run a very professional operation, and they are licensed and insured.

Edited: 1:29 am, March 16, 2011
Hackensack, New...
Level Contributor
306 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for another couple to tour VNP (Volcano Discovery)

Read your post about your planning a tour of VNP with Discovery Tours and I was wondering how did it go and what comments do you have.

Did you also visit Kalapana or any other place with them?

Did you stay overnight in the area and if so, where?

I am trying to plan a 1 full day and 2 half days (arrival and departure days) visit to the area and am trying to figure out if I am better off renting a car or going with a private tour

Horsham, UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for another couple to tour VNP (Volcano Discovery)

The OP posted a great trip report here: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g29217-i268-k459…

Their summary of the Volcano Discovery tour was:

"I’m a 6th grade science teacher so VNP was a high priority for me. We scheduled a trip with Volcano Discovery and all I can say is WOW! They did not disappoint. We went out with Philip and had an incredible time. He was so knowledgeable about the geology and the botany in the area. I learned so much in the 4 hours that we got to spend together. I highly highly recommend this tour. He let us decide what we wanted to do in the park. Our number one thing was to hike the Kilauea Iki hike, so that’s what we did. You can do this hike solo, but I guarantee that doing it with a guide enhances the trip ten-fold. It was a major highlight of my vacation. I didn’t expect that we would see much activity in the park. Although we didn’t see flowing lava, we did see active steam vents and we saw the crater glowing from the museum. The glow was so much brighter than I had expected. You can check out a photo of it from the link up top. I didn’t enhance it. It was really that bright. It was a truly unbelievable experience. The rainbow across the Iki crater as we walked through it didn’t hinder the experience either. So unreal."

I guess they liked it ;o)

7. Re: Looking for another couple to tour VNP (Volcano Discovery)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 22, 2012