We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night by the volcano...suggestions for a hotel?

Bayside, New York
Level Contributor
108 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
One night by the volcano...suggestions for a hotel?

We will be spending one night by the volcano and Hilo.

Is it best to get a hotel in Hilo? Is there anything closer to the volcano? Any suggestions of places?

Thanks!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night by the volcano...suggestions for a hotel?

There's Kilauea Lodge, probably the best one, and Kilauea Chateau or Chalet or something like that. It also has Lokahi Lodge, which is pretty nice and cheaper than the Kilauea Lodge (which does have the best restaurant in the area.) There are B&B's, but someone else will have to give info on them.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,997 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night by the volcano...suggestions for a hotel?

All depends on your price range.

Study your option by going to the left menu and looking at Hotels (and B&B's) in the Volcano Village forum and the Hilo forum. Not this one, which is VNP, and not the Island of Hawai'i which is the whole island.

There are no true hotels in Volcano. There is Kilauea Lodge and various B&B's. The hotels in Hilo are not so good. Hilo Hawaiian is OK if you get a better room. Do not consider Uncle Billy's. Dolphin Bay is an option.

Shipman is a fine B&B that accepts one night stays.

Where you stay depends on your itinerary and what you need to be near, where you will be before and after. Volcano is 4000 feet elevation and chilly, and Hilo is sea level and warm tropical, but Volcano is very appealing if you like tree fern type rain forest and a fireplace.

What time of year is this?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night by the volcano...suggestions for a hotel?

In Hilo go with Shipman House for best accomodation or Dolphin Bay Hotel if you are on a tight budget. In Volcano go with Kilauea Lodge for best or My Island B&B for budget. Extending your south east stay to 2 nights and 3 full days will allow you to explore Volcano National Park and Hilo falls/gardens, and sights along the way if you are coming from Waikoloa or Kona side.

New York CIty, NY
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One night by the volcano...suggestions for a hotel?

Kilauea Lodge is great. Note that it does come with a delicious breakfast. I too would recommend extending your stay on the Hilo side. If you like Thai food, there is a great tha restaurant a couple minutes away from the lodge. Enjoy!!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
87 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night by the volcano...suggestions for a hotel?

http://www.bestbnb.com/KatesVolcano.html

Kate's volcano Cottage

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,747 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night by the volcano...suggestions for a hotel?

stayed at my island bandb several times, and they have a wonderful breakfast and all the mac nuts you can eat!! beautiful gardens.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night by the volcano...suggestions for a hotel?

Stay in Volcano villsge , no hotels byt the ones in hilo are all pretty poor.

Hilo is a long drive almost 1 hour from the park entrance and a gas guzzeling 4000 ft 27 mile long grade with gas at almost $5 a gallon.

Kiluea Lodge has the best value because it offers a full restauraunt and bar and is not a B&B. ( I cant stand B&B' they give me the creeps)

LavaRock cafe is the best cheap meal The Thai place it poor ( satay without skewers) Kiwai Cafe is the same price as Kiluea Lodge restauraunt... which has better food. There is no food in the park

Volcano is it for an hours drive in any direction.

8. Re: One night by the volcano...suggestions for a hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, October 17, 2012