We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunrise Parking at Haleakala

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Sunrise Parking at Haleakala

My wife and I are visiting Maui in early June and we are wanting to see the sunrise at the summit Haleakala. We are staying in Kahului for its centralized location and were wondering how early we should leave the hotel get to the summit? We were also wondering if parking will be a problem? Thank you for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,007 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunrise Parking at Haleakala

Just wanted to know if you really are staying in Kahului the whole time??? Maybe you are just staying there the first night? I hope you are moving to Kihei area or Ka'anapali area after the one night???

From there, it will still take about two hours to get to the summit. The earlier you leave, the better chance of getting a parking spot at the summit. There are not that many spaces at the top. The gate will be closed if it is full already. Lots more spaces at the lower level where the visitors' center is.

I hope you will reconsider staying in Kahului for the entire holiday. Kihei is just 20 - 30 minutes away from the airport, and Ka'anapali is maybe 45 - 60 minutes away from the airport. So much nicer....

Mentioned in this post
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunrise Parking at Haleakala

Thanks for your help. We were planning on staying at Kahului the whole time because we can stay at the Marriott Courtyard on points. I know its not the ideal tourist spot, but we found that last time we were in Hawaii we really didn't spend that much time at the hotel. Plus, it seems to be centrally located.

Mentioned in this post
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunrise Parking at Haleakala

How long is "the whole time"? We didn't spend much time at our hotel in Kaanapali, but we sure liked being able to view whales, sunset over Lanai, etc. We stayed at the Courtyard for our first night because we'd traveled 36 hours and I didn't want to drive at night after that. An okay hotel, new though the rooms seemed smaller than at a typical courtyard. As you know, far from any beach, but convenient to Costco and some other stores and eateries. Even if you don't spend much time at your hotel during the day, it does seem a shame to have such atmosphere after going all the way to Hawaii. Kahului central to some things, I guess. It's your points and wallet involved, of course. Lots of traffic in the area.

I'd probably allow 90 minutes to get to the summit (could take longer due to traffic), aiming to arrive at least 20 minutes beforehand, to get parking. I'm sure you know about the phone # to call for weather conditions on the summit. We went up mid-day and had lots of clouds.

Edited: 11:57 am, February 28, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Yorba Linda...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunrise Parking at Haleakala

There is a phone # to find out about the weather conditions for the summit? Can you please share it/ Thanks a bunch!!

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunrise Parking at Haleakala

Here is a number listed on Haleakala National Parks website 1-808-572-4400. You can find all their contact info here: http://www.nps.gov/hale/contacts.htm

Thanks for everyone's help. I think my wife and I decided to stay one night Kahului to be as close to Haleakala as possible, then the rest of the time we will be staying at the Maui Coast Hotel in Kihei. We'll save the free nights at Marriott for somewhere else.

Mentioned in this post
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,750 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunrise Parking at Haleakala

Maui Coast Hotel is in a good location. You can walk across the street to Kam 1 beach. You will be within walking distance of a variety of restaurants and shops. And by car just a few minutes from many more great beaches and restaurants. Kihei is also a good location to visit all areas of the island.

You will only be 15-20 minutes from the airport if you decide you don't want to pack up and change hotels just head to the Maui Coast Hotel when you arrive.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
7. Re: Sunrise Parking at Haleakala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 23, 2014