We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What road do you take to go from Kihei Bay Surf ?

Tahiti, French...
Level Contributor
49 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
What road do you take to go from Kihei Bay Surf ?

Hi there, we were thinking if we make a trip to maui, what road would we have to take from the Kihei Bay Surf to go to the summit of Haleakala?

we tried to do with google map, but it could not tell us the length of the driving. Do we need to enter at a special place?

thx for your answers.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What road do you take to go from Kihei Bay Surf ?

from S Kihei road make your way up to Piilani highway, take this to Mokulele Hwy just stay in the right lane and it will merge. Follow this to Hansen road, from here turn onto Haleakala Hwy 377, last will be crater road Hwy 378

lahaina-family-vacation.com/maui-volcano-hal…

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,692 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What road do you take to go from Kihei Bay Surf ?

Aloha,

Here's a good map of Maui. You can click on the different areas to get more detailed views:

honolulupublishing.com/MauiMaps/maui_map_isl…

This is the same map given to every car renter.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,316 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What road do you take to go from Kihei Bay Surf ?

Miles will about 50(I',guessing. It's really about drive time) Time will be about 2 hours. Many 20 and 15 miles per hour areas as you drive up. Ad more time for stops.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,392 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What road do you take to go from Kihei Bay Surf ?

Just make sure you don't take Hansen Rd. if it's dark. There is no light and it can be dangerous in the dark. Just follow Mokulele Hwy till you hit Dairy Rd. and make a right, follow until you hit Hana Hwy. and go from there!! It's about a 2 hour drive from Kihei.

Tahiti, French...
Level Contributor
49 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What road do you take to go from Kihei Bay Surf ?

Thank you so much for all your directions! I could not hope better than that!!! you really rock!

I really appreciate!!!

thankkkkkksssss !!

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What road do you take to go from Kihei Bay Surf ?

if your gonna be safe take the longer route no big deal, actually would go this way cause Hansen road smells horrors in the early morning hours so skip it.

Tahiti, French...
Level Contributor
49 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What road do you take to go from Kihei Bay Surf ?

thank you msfuzz and keonifoxen! I would not like to drive in dark with bad smell!

I had another question, how do we buy the "entrance ticket" is there someone 24h/24 at the entrance?? or do we have to buy in advance our ticket?

What time does the sun rise? I mean, I know there can't be precised time, but just if you could tell me what time minimum the sun should rise?

Thank you folks! you are really helping me out!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,392 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What road do you take to go from Kihei Bay Surf ?

No, you don't pay your park fee in advance. It's been awhile so I really don't remember where you stop to pay but believe me, you will know when you get there. Sunrise will depend on what time of year you are coming!! When you answer that question we can tell you sunrise times.

Tahiti, French...
Level Contributor
49 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What road do you take to go from Kihei Bay Surf ?

oh I got it!!

I was really worried about looking for where to pay, and miss the sunrise because of that! lol

We are going in April, this year, we wanna do the sunrise, exactly on Monday 16th, as we only stay in Maui for 3 days, and already have a snorkelling trip organised for the day after.

Thank you so much for helping me out!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,392 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What road do you take to go from Kihei Bay Surf ?

Sunrise on April 16th will be, according to my precise calculations, at 6:06am!! Leave Kihei no later than 4:00am and you've got it made!!

Get answers to your questions about Haleakala National Park