We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Return trip advice

chicago il
Level Contributor
78 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Return trip advice

Hello,

My family will be returning to the Smokies next Friday (4 nights) and will stay in a cabin in Wears Valley. Since the last visit was during early spring and temps were cooler I am looking for great suggestions of places for our little girls to wade in a stream that is relatively safe. I have read about tubing in the Little river, but are there any other spots to play with water that is not a commercial pool etc..

Thanks in advance.

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Return trip advice

Greenbriar runs off the East Parkway (SR321) 5 miles east of G'burg near Pittmann Center. The stream that runs along the road up into Greenbriar is perfect for this application. You are required to park in parking lots at first but further up there are pulloffs directly next to the stream. There's also a picnic area with restroom/change room further up the road.

Like all mountain streams, this stream has a rocky bottom that can be very slippery at times. Since you didn't specify the ages of the girls, I'll advise you that if they are under 10 YOA a floatation vest would be a wise idea just in case one slips and falls. If its rained recently, use your best judgement about the strength of water flow and current strength before letting them in.

Another location used for wading is the stream at the junction of Little River Road and the road to Cades Cove just outside Townsend. The bottom here is more gravel than stone and might be more suitable depending upon the age of the girls. There are no facilities however.

I've waded and fished both locations and had no qualms letting my girls twiddle their toes in either one.

Enjoy!!

Rincon Georgia
Level Contributor
827 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Return trip advice

There is a nice place in Cades Cove on Sparks Lane. There is enough room for several cars to pull off and park and the stream is nice there. Not very deep, but just enough for children to play in.

West Monroe...
Level Contributor
364 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Return trip advice

If your cabin is in Wear's Valley, your closest option will be to take Lyon Springs Road off of Wears Valley Road (it's a right turn when driving toward Pigeon Forge from Townsend). This is a two mile long shortcut onto Little River Road that comes out at the Metcalf Bottoms Picnic Area. The river flows right past the picnic grounds, and we found the perfect picnic table this summer for our kiddos to play in the water. There's not too much current here, and it's not deep, so it's pretty safe in that regard.

Here's a Google maps shot of the intersection you're looking for.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.713939,-83.653234,3a,75y,143.6h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s-6f_iw0JVu3w6oP2JlAc6Q!2e0

chicago il
Level Contributor
78 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Return trip advice

Thanks everyone.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,698 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Return trip advice

I'd also like to "second" nsudemons97 posting of Metcalf Bottom picnic area. My wife & I stop there every single time we go to the national park. The picnic grounds themselves are excellent. There's a building to change into, and out of swimwear....(restroom). Nice big picnic tables,(many right up to the riverbank) complete with charcoal grills. Yopur kids are sure to love this spot.

Ray

chicago il
Level Contributor
78 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Return trip advice

Hi All,

We got back from our trip and loved it! We ended up having a picnic at Metcalf Bottoms and it was perfect! Thanks for the suggestions. It was exactly what we were looking for.

Lina M.

7. Re: Return trip advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 31, 2015