We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where does this road lead to in the GSMNP?

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
4,953 posts
327 reviews
Save Topic
Where does this road lead to in the GSMNP?

Hi, My husband and I have been curious about a old road in the park we have passed a many of times and often wondered where does it lead to. Hopefully someone will know.

If your on 441 heading towards Cherokee, right after you pass Sugarlands I would say about a mile or a mile and a half and before you get to Carlos Campbell lookout there is a old dirt/gravel road on the right side of the street and kinda across from a quiet walkway there is a gate up so you can't drive it.

Does anyone know anything about where it leads to? My husband thinks it may lead to a back entrance to Elkmont, but I don't think so.

I pulled up the street view and I see the road , but I really can't tell where it leads to.

I wonder if anyone else has ever noticed it before or may know about the road. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Cherokee
Cherokee
North Carolina Mountains, NC
nashville
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where does this road lead to in the GSMNP?

that's just above Sugarlands (not the park headquarters, but the former community) so it's probably an old road that connected to the community. there was also a big CCC camp down there back in the early days of the park. it's also possible that it connects to a cememtery... they maintain some of those old roads to provide access for visitation.

if you want more specifics, ask over on gosmokies.com... i can almost assure you that someone over there knows exactly where it goes.

Edited: 6:23 pm, August 11, 2014
nashville
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where does this road lead to in the GSMNP?

oh, and to get to Elkmont you have to cross Sugarland Mountain which is directly behind you as your looking out at the overlook towards Mt Leconte.

Mentioned in this post
Mount LeConte
Mount LeConte
230 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,953 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where does this road lead to in the GSMNP?

Thank you for the help. Do you know if the public can walk down roads like that and explore.There is a gate up but no signs saying keep out. I have seen several other roads like that also in the park and of course they are always gated.

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where does this road lead to in the GSMNP?

If its the one I'm thinking of, its on the right going up 441, has a yellow gate made of pipe and a really steep climb to the road - I've always wondered where it went too.

Only rule I ever heard of was - don't block the gate with your car - in case they need to get fire equipment in.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,953 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where does this road lead to in the GSMNP?

bassbum Yes that's the one I do think.

nashville
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where does this road lead to in the GSMNP?

besides a few exceptions like ranger residences and a few specific spots, you can go anywhere in the park you like. just be prepared and don't get lost ;-)

Edited: 10:40 am, August 12, 2014
Sevierville...
Level Contributor
9 posts
544 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where does this road lead to in the GSMNP?

It is a maintenance facility for the park. Bunch of old picnic tables and rock for repair of the guardrails and a few sheds.

Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
350 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where does this road lead to in the GSMNP?

There are a number of roads which are kept open for emergency use by park staff and this is one of them, I think. Until sometime in the 1960's these roads were used by educational groups to access areas they were studying but a park supt blocked them with large boulders or, if they were thought to be useful for emergency use, blocked them with locked gates.

I have walked the Sugarland Mountain trail from the Clingmans Dome Road to the Little River Road and the road in question does not cross Sugarland Mountain trail so it cannot go to Elkmont. I have also walked the Husky Gap trail which is near the location of the road under discussion. The trail sometimes follows and sometimes crosses the bed of a road which served a settlement here in pre-park days. If you would like to see the area the road in question serves take the Huskey Gap trail. It is not heavily used.

Mentioned in this post
Clingmans Dome
Clingmans Dome
2,364 Reviews
Little River Road
Little River Road
171 Reviews
Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,953 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where does this road lead to in the GSMNP?

Thank you for the information.

10. Re: Where does this road lead to in the GSMNP?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 22, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...