We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Savannah to Gatlinburg - where to stop?

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Savannah to Gatlinburg - where to stop?

Hi, I'm due to be visiting the area in April from the U.K. with my family (two boys, 6 & 4, and husband). We are planning to stay a couple of days in Asheville and a couple of days in Gatlinburg. I have two questions:

1. Having spent quite some time researching, I have come up with the following ideas for what to do whilst in the area. Anything we are missing or that probably wouldn't be appropriate for the age of the kids / time of year?

Around Asheville: Chimney Rock Park, Pisgah NP, Blue Ridge Parkway (although not sure which stretch). Stop off on way to Gatlinburg for a river float tube in the Lower Pigeon River.

Around Gatlinburg: Cades Cove Loop (does anyone know if the bikes for rent come with kids seats or trailers?), Roaring Fork Motor Trail, Clingmans Dome, Chimneys Picnic Spot and then perhaps Dollywood or Ober Gatlinburg outside the park.

2. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the best way to get from Gatlinburg to Savannah. Should we look to break the 6-ish hour drive with an overnight somewhere or just plough on through in one day?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice that can be offered.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Savannah to Gatlinburg - where to stop?

The quickest route is to Take 321 out of Gatlinburg to I-40 to Asheville and then I-26 to I-95 to Savannah. If I took this route I would recommend staying on I-26 and head into Charleston SC for a stop point. Another route would be to 441 from Gatlinburg to I-16 in Georgia and on into Savannah. On this route there Is Cherokee which you can stop at and also several small towns in North Georgia. Also you can detour to Atlanta from 441 in North Georgia.

Typically I make the drive straight through.

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Savannah to Gatlinburg - where to stop?

Thanks for the reply. We are planning to return via Charleston so would probably prefer another route down to Savannah. Are there areas worth stopping at just below GSMNP but still in the mountains?

3. Re: Travel from Savannah to Gatlinburg - where to stop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 26, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...